Tanarii

Helping the Pathfinder and Scout

Tue 09 Jul 2019, 03:25

Is there any reason other characters cannot Help a character who Leads the Way or Keeps Watch while Hiking?  The way they're written is singular, but this seems like exactly the thing where the Help action is easy to allow. The other characters aren't doing anything special except Hiking.

faun

Re: Helping the Pathfinder and Scout

Tue 09 Jul 2019, 07:41

Did you find a rule that precludes your helping on this task? my read is that you nominate one player to roll and then another player can help (up to 3). The rule of thumb for me is any skill can be helped by others, (even combat) but talents have to come from the roller, so if someone has pathfinder talent they have to roll to be able to use this talent, if they don't roll they contribute 1D6 just like anyone else. The key is for players to be present and say they are helping and how so they can get the bonus before the roll.

Emperyan

Tue 09 Jul 2019, 19:10

On page 144 it states:
✥✥ LEAD THE WAY. Can be combined with
HIKE, but can only be done by one adventurer
in the group.
✥✥ KEEP WATCH. Can be combined with
in the group.

Nothing strictly precluding help but I'd say it violates the spirit of the rule, Leading the Way in particular. I'd say you could have multiple people Keep Watch but it would slow your progress during a Hike (everybody slow and steady, head on a swivel) and probably eat into your Rest and Sleep when you're at Camp.

Leading the Way seems different to me since more than one leader means you have no leader and Keeping Watch already seems to be helping the Leader.

My feeling is the party members Hiking probably have taken some extra gear so the Leader can rove ahead without being encumbered but this isn't in the rules, just an observation from years of hiking and camping and seems to be borne out by my friends in the military that say if feels about right.

Hope that helps.

faun

Tue 09 Jul 2019, 21:29

My feeling is the party members Hiking probably have taken some extra gear so the Leader can rove ahead without being encumbered but this isn't in the rules, just an observation from years of hiking and camping and seems to be borne out by my friends in the military that say if feels about right.

Hope that helps.
it does help me, in my mind it sort of conflicts with the spirit of help, but it makes sense. The 'what about' guy in me wants to argue things like, if they had a wagon in the group, horses that didn't have much burden, they were the advance team, both could f*ing fly, and other things but sometimes a no should be no. 

Ayathor

Wed 10 Jul 2019, 01:37

On page 144 it states:
in the group.
in the group.
So what I understand from this rule is that only a single adventurer can roll (not everybody who is not doing it), but I do not see why another adventurer couldn't help, I could see it like "are you sure this is the right pace?" or "I heard something strange" type of support, that is the +1 in the roll. I allow it, but it might be a personal preference. 

hperantunes

Wed 10 Jul 2019, 05:24

Yes. I read this as only one character in the party may roll, but others can assist the roll.

faun

Wed 10 Jul 2019, 05:41

Yes. I read this as only one character in the party may roll, but others can assist the roll.
I believe on Sweden Rolls that they have helped in some of the tasks like lead the way and lookout, that's why I allowed it in the games I have referred so far. I really want to keep the rule of thumb in tact about any skill roll can be helped if there is RP.

Tanarii

Thu 11 Jul 2019, 05:09

On page 144 it states:
in the group.
in the group.
Yeah, it was the language of "one adventurer" that threw me. But it seems like help could work within the language. Only one is leading or watching, the others are helping.

faun

Thu 11 Jul 2019, 06:23

I also don't let players help with both activities they have to pick one.

Ebrim

Tue 30 Jul 2019, 23:15

I also don't let players help with both activities they have to pick one.
I think this is right. They can help but can’t be actively helping both.
GZIP: Off