Zaldair

Portal spell

Sat 06 Jul 2019, 18:34

I don t really understand the portal spell, one of my player say we have to cast the spell a first time to go in the demon plan and a second time to go everywhere in the forbidden lands.
He also say the spell have the only interest to summon demon, who can travel across the portal.
Can you explain clearly the effect of this spell.
Thank you

Slam Hammerfist

Re: Portal spell

Sat 06 Jul 2019, 19:54

It can do both. Once the portal is open you can go through and cast the spell a second time to open another portal that will lead anywhere in the forbidden lands. However once you have traveled through the first portal you run the risk of running into many demons. Or a demon can cross over into the forbidden lands, then in conjunction with a sorcerer casting bind demon, you can gain a demon companion for a quarter day.

Zaldair

Sun 07 Jul 2019, 10:57

So, if you want to travel you have to cast the spell twice, but the second time in the demon plan ?
It's a ritual, it's unsuable like that .

Emperyan

Mon 08 Jul 2019, 21:58

Nothing is every easy in the Forbidden Lands...
I think this is perfectly in line with the flavour and intention of the setting. Personally, I'd love my group to decide a shortcut through the demon lands is worth saving days and days of travel  :twisted:
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Ayathor

Wed 10 Jul 2019, 01:10

I think it would be a good idea to have some future supplements about the demon plane. 

For the time being, if I ever encounter this situation in my game I would roll d6, 5 and 6 no demon shows up, 2-4 a demon shows up, 1 a d3 demons show up or something similar. I would force the roll every quarter day or similar (probably less).

Also, could be good for traps and similar, set up a trigger plate and infuse rune with portal spell, and you got a demon spawner 

Zaldair

Wed 10 Jul 2019, 14:22

Idk if you're a player or a GM but it's stupide to allow every sorcerer who master signs magic to summon a portal to summon demon. (Cf p.31 of the GM book ).
We can supose with this way a group of sorcerer who power a portal eternally without problem with spell like bind demon

Ayathor

Wed 10 Jul 2019, 19:12

I do both, but I usually GM more than play. I was suggesting a d6 rule or similar to control this power, but I would not have any problem with a player doing that. If a player wants to risk her life and use portal to summon a demon, it’s up to her and it is none of my business.
And I don’t see a problem with binding demons, it needs both willpower points and successful rolls, at some point it will fail and the demon will pay back all their “kindness”. You can find demons just by travelling, why would summon one be too outstanding?
But you as a GM have the last word and if you don’t like it, do not allow it. Using portals for travelling should have a risk. Using portals to summon demons should not always work.
GZIP: Off