Rymdhamster
Topic Author

Shooting into/out of close combat

Sun 30 Jun 2019, 17:02

We wanted som input on two different scenarios:

Scenario 1: Shooting out of close combat

You are in close combat with a foe, but you have a bow/crossbow out and you would like to attack another foe standing some way away, who is not in close combat with you. How would that affect your chances to hit? 

Are you not allowed to do it, becasue you should be fully ocupied with the foe in CC with you? 

Are you allowed to do it but suffer from the -3 penalty of shooting a foe in close combat with you, even though the actual traget is not in CC with you?

No penalties at all? You just step aside and take your shot without leaving CC?

Scenario 2: You want to shot a foe who is currently involved in CC with an ally of yours. 

Do you risk hitting your ally? In that case how do you calculate that? 

faun

Re: Shooting into/out of close combat

Sun 30 Jun 2019, 20:57

I rule you'd have to retreat out of arms length with your fast action (and a successful move roll) and have rank 2 with the talent fast shooter to shoot while running, There is the attack of opportunity first, then shoot as your slow action.. 

myrsloken

Mon 01 Jul 2019, 10:23

When shooting out of close combat, I think it makes a lot of sense to apply the -3. And I could see many situations where shooting wouldn't be allowed at all.

@faun: Why would someone need rank 2 fast shooter? Rank 1 allows for instant loading and thus: retreat (short action) => ready weapon (no action) => shoot (long action).

faun

Mon 01 Jul 2019, 21:49

@mysloken: Since Retreat=Run from Arms length to near combat the only talent that allows shooting and running would be rank 2 fast shooter. I'd also apply the -3 dice for not having the skill, but allow it with the skill and no extra difficulty.

myrsloken

Tue 02 Jul 2019, 14:19

First I want to say that this is a roleplaying game and you do whatever you want with the rules. As long as you are having fun, you are doing it right.

But that is clearly not what the rules say. The two actions you perform during combat happen in sequence, first you retreat, then you shoot. You do not need a special talent to do this. In fact, the intended meaning of rank 2 fast shooter is that when you shoot, you are also allowed to run (for free). This was discussed on the Swedish forum recently. This means that a regular player can retreat then ready her bow, with rank 1 fast shooter she can retreat, ready and shoot, and with rank 2 fast shooter she can retreat, ready, shoot and then run to short range.