Valyar

How many items can be repaired per quarter of a day?

Sun 09 Jun 2019, 22:59

The itemization plays big role in the game - gear breaks and must be repaired. As the characters are often in the wild, they want to keep their gear in top form as much as possible, as they can't carry unlimited supply. The Craft skill has vague description on the amount of items that can be repaired in a quarter day: REPAIR: Repairing a broken item generally takes a few hours and a successful CRAFTING roll.

I am thinking what house rule to put here, to make sense and not to be stingy. I was thinking something about the following:
  1. The total amount of items that can be repaired per quarter of a day must have their combined weight equal or less than the Strength of the character
  2. As above, but the total weight combined must be HEAVY.
What are you using for your games and which one you think is better?

Fenhorn

Re: How many items can be repaired per quarter of a day?

Sun 09 Jun 2019, 23:06

If we say that a quarterday is 6 hours, I would say that you can repair two items (meaning a few is 3 hours). Sounds ok with me.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Konungr

Mon 10 Jun 2019, 09:43

I think it would be fair to say you can repair items until you fail (at which point you are incapable of repairing any more that quarter of a day).

Add 1 difficulty to each roll after the first (If I remember correctly you reduce your skill dice by 1 until it starts dipping into negatives). The higher difficulty results from rushing subsequent repairs. 

Instead of having a hard cap you have a challenge the players choose to risk or not which is always more interesting and fun.
Last edited by Konungr on Mon 10 Jun 2019, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

Fenhorn

Mon 10 Jun 2019, 09:44

I think it would be fair to say you can repair items until you fail (at which point you are incapable of repairing any more that quarter of a day).

Add 1 difficulty to each roll after the first. The higher difficulty results from rushing subsequent repairs. 

Instead of having a hard cap you have a challenge the players choose to risk or not which is always more interesting and fun.
I like that idea.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Valyar

Mon 10 Jun 2019, 12:15

Another rule I came up with as possibility is related directly to the CRAFT skill:
  1. You can repair total amount of items equal to your CRAFT skill.
In regards to the suggestion of difficulty increase, from rules perspective this will mandate more successes to be rolled or implemented as modifier?

Konungr

Mon 10 Jun 2019, 15:20

When something has a difficulty modifier to the roll (like trying to climb a wall while it's wet) you reduce skill dice. So if they would have 2 attribute 3 skill and 1 equipment they would roll 6 dice for the first repair. 5 for the second. 4 for the 3rd etc etc... They would roll with no skill dice when they reach zero. Then you start adding back in skill dice but they count as negatives with each 6 on a skill die canceling out a 6 from the other dice.

Valyar

Mon 10 Jun 2019, 17:46

I know how it works. It just can be implemented either way as I explained. It is not against the spirit of the system. :)
With modifier is more elegant though.

Konungr

Mon 10 Jun 2019, 21:13

The problem with requiring more successes is successes have a mechanical effect. Each success repairs 1 durability. So you create a situation where you need 2 successes to succeed on the second item but are incapable of repair 1 durability.

You can add addendums like (except the first success doesnt count and on the 3rd item the first 2 dont count) but now youve made the rule needlessly complicated with no actual benefit.

Valyar

Mon 10 Jun 2019, 22:19

Yes, you are right. I forgot the “tiny” detail about the extra successes on a repair check. I knew something was not ok with the success housefuls :)
GZIP: Off