maelkor
Topic Author

Path of Superiority (alternate Fighter Path)

Fri 24 May 2019, 03:34

Salutations!

This is my first post here - which makes me all the more ashamed about it being a house rule one (not a munchkin, promise!) - but after being exhorted by my DM, I figured I'd give it a shot. I'll preface with my reasoning / inspirations, but if you're only interested in the crunch, head straight to the Quote block. Also, construtive feedback is appreciated! =)

Having read the Path of the Enemy a couple times - and because we haven't been using the Advanced Combat Rules - it ocurred to be to create something to fill in the niche of a versatile / stratetic-minded warrior. Don't get me wrong: both other Fighter options are great, but they're too focused on either offense or defence, and it felt that Fighters could use some flair.

Now, there are other options created by the community to fill in the third slot (including the excelent Path of the Fist), but they seemed either incongruent or somewhat mechanically exclusive with preexisting Fighter Paths. I wanted something that felt similar to what already exists in the rules, but felt novel or engaging enough to merit choosing over / in tandem with currently existing options.

In comes D&D's Battlemaster (yup, sorry!). Now, if you've played any 5e, you know how how that archetype eschews raw power in favor of versatility - in the shape of various maneuvers and bonuses for discrete rolls. Having options to choose from when it comes to maneuvers felt counterintuitive with FBL's streamlined rules' system, but the superiority dice (d8s, a common occurrence in FBL's talents) felt like it would be right at home.

Rank 1:
Plenty of talents provide a static +1 skill die in every roll involving specific skills (+1 to parry / attack with swords from swordfighter, +1 to parry from defender etc), and rank 3 talents often give an extra d8 to the same checks, but they do so to every such roll. The idea of superiority dice is that you can use them in any close combat maneuver (and they're d8s to boot!) but to offset this versatility and extra early power - and to emphasize the importance of stratetic use - their use is limited to just one roll per round.

Rank 2:
Another thing that struck me is that, of all the fighting-centered-professions (Fighter, Hunter, Rider), Fighter was the only one lacking a self-heal option. Both Hunters and Riders have a very similar option in the second rank of their "pet" paths. Fighters are mostly self-reliant, so it makes sense they get a path in the requirement to have a mount / beast companion close by. The abilities function in the very same way otherwise.

Rank 3:
Finally, rank 3 gives another extra attack option - this time as a retaliatory strike, not unlike Path of the Companion's rank 1. Other "extra attack" options (Path of the Blade 2, Path of the Arrow 2, Path of the Companion 3) give a more proactive option to get said extra attack. It's my understanding that the all aforementioned talents allow for just one extra attack in any given combat round, depite how they're worded (which I attribute to an artifact of translation), so I also kept that limitation. Because Fighters alrady have one such option with PotB 2, to preserve synergies but to avoid exploits, this extra attack can only be executed in close combat, require somehow avoiding an incoming attack and can only be directed against the origin of such attack, provided other requirements such as range are met.

This rank is comparatively weaker to other rank 3 options, but if feels appropriate considering Fighters already have extra attack options and because Rank 2 of this Path is comparatively slightly stronger than its Hunter / Rider Counterparts.

TL;DR:
PATH OF THE SUPERIORITY
Your expertise in the battlefield means you’re versatile, resilient and quick to react. Where other fighters rely on strength or sturdy defences, your knowledge of the battlefield allows you to outmaneuver and outlast your opponents.

RANK 1 (Superiority): Once per round, you can use one extra mighty (d8) artifact die in any one single combat maneuver roll (SLASH, STABE, PUNCH, KICK, BITE, GRAPPLE, BREAK FREE, DODGE, PARRY, SHOVE, DISARM, RETREAT).

RANK 2 (Second Wind): You take a breath and steel yourself to resume fighting after becoming Broken (see page 107). Every WP you spend recovers one point of the attribute that has reached zero. You cannot use this effect when you are not Broken.

RANK 3 (Riposte): Once per round, if an opponent misses you, or if you parry or dodge a close combat attack, you can spend a Willpower Point to immediately make a close combat attack against him.

Arnold

Re: Path of Superiority (alternate Fighter Path)

Fri 24 May 2019, 07:26

Oh, i like this. Seems to me the best alternative to all of the path of the enemys options.

+++

Thaemir

Fri 24 May 2019, 09:44

I like the idea but the 2nd rank of the talent is almost identical to the Unbreakable Talent of the Orc Kin. I think that would collide or make it superfluous

Blatifagus

Fri 24 May 2019, 12:28

I like the idea but the 2nd rank of the talent is almost identical to the Unbreakable Talent of the Orc Kin. I think that would collide or make it superfluous
Admittedly both the Hunter and the Rider have similar talents, so ...

Eldhierta

Fri 24 May 2019, 17:14

I would argue that Rank 1 is way too powerful. Other talents grant the D8 as Rank 3, and only for the situations that are affected by that talent. This talent would be extremely powerful for a beginner character, making it almost a must have for new Fighters.

maelkor
Topic Author

Fri 24 May 2019, 17:45

I would argue that Rank 1 is way too powerful. Other talents grant the D8 as Rank 3, and only for the situations that are affected by that talent. This talent would be extremely powerful for a beginner character, making it almost a must have for new Fighters.
While I'm inclined to agree, rank 3 talents give the artifact die to every such roll, instead of just once per round. Profession paths seem to be on the "stronger" side too (Consider both Path of the Blade and Path of the Arrow let you ignore armor for a measly 1 WP, for instance). Having said that, what would you replace it with?

Edit: An alternative would be to "scale" the die. Make it a regular skill die (d6) at rank 1, and, compound with the other ranks, make it so that the rank 1's original die later scales to d8 and then d10. It'd make it so that the rank 1, on its own, doesn't provide as big a benefit, but eventually becomes really powerful.
Last edited by maelkor on Sat 25 May 2019, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

Eldhierta

Fri 24 May 2019, 22:42

While I'm inclined to agree, rank 3 talents give the artifact die to every such roll, instead of just once per round. Profession paths seem to be on the "stronger" side too (Consider both Path of the Bblade and Path of the Arrow let you ignore armor for a measly 1 WP, for instance). Having said that, what would you replace it with?

Edit: An alternative would be to "scale" the die. Make it a regular skill die (d6) at rank 1, and, compound with the other ranks, make it so that the rank 1's original die later scales to d8 and then d10. It'd make it so that the rank 1, on its own, doesn't provide as big a benefit, but eventually becomes really powerful.
I'm quite fine with Path of the Fist and Path of the Enemy, so I think I'd use them, though I would allow your homebrew as you've written it if it comes with the cost of 1 WP =)

Konungr

Tue 11 Jun 2019, 02:56

I think the WP cost works well for the d8 on the rank 1 ability. But I would say if it is going to cost WP then it shouldn't be limited to once a round. Make it so you can add the d8 once per action at the cost of 1 WP.

This "Path" bleeds will power all over the place. But gets good benefits for doing so. I think that balances well. It's good to give the players enticing gambles. High rewards for high risks/costs.

SpandexAndy

Wed 31 Jul 2019, 19:16

I am keen to use this homebrew Talent in my game. I have made some tweaks to the version originally posted .... I'm interested in the community's opinion on Rank 1 particularly. Too powerful? What changes would you suggest?

----------
Fighter Talent: Path of Superiority (Draft 1)

Your expertise in the battlefield means you’re versatile, resilient and quick to react. Where other fighters rely on strength or sturdy defences, your knowledge of the battlefield allows you to outmaneuver and outlast your opponents.

RANK 1 (Superiority):
You can spend 1 Willpower and use one extra mighty (d8) artifact die in any combat maneuver roll (SLASH, STAB, PUNCH, KICK, BITE, GRAPPLE, BREAK FREE, DODGE, PARRY, SHOVE, DISARM, RETREAT).

(Added Willpower cost, removed limit of once per round). This is the most contentious of the Ranks, I think. Some argue it is too powerful (d8 is a big deal) and includes too many maneuvers.

RANK 2 (Second Wind):
As a Slow action, you take a breath and steel yourself to resume fighting after becoming Broken. Every WP you spend recovers one point of the attribute that has reached zero. You cannot use this effect when you are not Broken.

(Added Slow action).

RANK 3 (Riposte):
Once per round, if an opponent misses you, or if you parry or dodge a close combat attack, you can spend a Willpower Point to immediately make a close combat attack against him.

(No change).
-------------

faun

Wed 31 Jul 2019, 21:57

Fighter Talent: Path of Superiority
-------------
I like the revision, but I'm worried if I give this to a beginning adult character they'll choose 2 ranks in it and then at the first chance to spend experience they'll choose path of the blade/axe/spear/fist and I'll have a fighter that is routinely using a mighty blow(+d8), finding weaknesses, and can't be broken. Although I think they would be awesome to see, can you imagine the looks on the PCs when they meet an enemy in Black that has this build. I think I just had to roll a horror crit for myself, therefore it goes in the game... lol