Lego
Topic Author

Mounted combat

Wed 15 May 2019, 07:42

1) If I am fighting from my mount and I am attacked the attacker gets a -1 but can I dodge using my fast action as normal using my agility and move? 
2) Since our actions are combined if the mount is attacked does it make a dodge with its agility and move using my fast action?  

Fenhorn

Re: Mounted combat

Wed 15 May 2019, 07:55

1) If I am fighting from my mount and I am attacked the attacker gets a -1 but can I dodge using my fast action as normal using my agility and move? 
The rules say that When you are mounted, and are about to perform an action that usually requires you to roll Move, roll for Animal Handling instead, using the animal's Agility (not your Empathy). Dodge is a Move roll, so if you want to dodge, you have to use Animal Handling (+ horse Agility) instead of your own.

2) Since our actions are combined if the mount is attacked does it make a dodge with its agility and move using my fast action? 
The horse doesn't have any actions of its own when you ride it. Since you and the horse are one here, it is your action that is spent if you want to defend yourself (and/or your horse) if attacked.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Lego
Topic Author

Sun 19 May 2019, 07:10

While mounted, if you use a retreat action pg93 does that move you only to near or 2 increments away since the mounts movement is 2?

Fenhorn

Sun 19 May 2019, 08:25

While mounted, if you use a retreat action pg93 does that move you only to near or 2 increments away since the mounts movement is 2?
Since you are on a horse, I would say that you are allowed to move up to 2. If two people retreats from me in combat (I'm a very scary guy) and one of them is on a horse, the guy on the horse would retreat further away than the guy on foot.

Lego
Topic Author

Mon 20 May 2019, 02:12

What would be the use of a the special mounts to have scouting or any mount?

Related, I have a hunter with the path of the beast. How does that trait work. Can it explore a hex for danger or like a building and does it need to make a roll? I have an eagle with a move of 3. Can it explore multiple hexes whilebi explore 1?

Fenhorn

Mon 20 May 2019, 07:18

The skill Scout has two major uses. One is passive and is done in the sneak attack opposed roll. You can also Scout ahead to learn more about something that you see afar. So if you see a castle at the distance, you can use the Scout skill to learn if there is any danger.

The Scout skill for animals is of course used if someone tries to sneak attack it, but it can also be used with Path of the Beast when scouting ahead. The Rank 1 of Path of the Beast is not used to explore hexes, it is used to scout ahead to learn about a threat nearby. So if you see a castle in the horizon, you can spend a WP and send your eagle to Scout the castle for you, to see if there is a threat. Normally for all skills, there are consequences when failing. The consequence for a failed Scout roll (when using Scout actively like this) could of course be that the threat over at the castle (if any) detects you, but in this case, all they detects is an eagle, not you.

Movement for eagles are used in combat only since they can't be ridden (unless the eagle is Lord of the Rings big).

I use a houserule when it comes to Path of the Beast and scouting or at least I think it is a houserule. It is taken from the MY0. When the animal Scouts for you (actively), you make the skill roll with your Wits and the animal's Scout skill. The idea is that the hunter "reads" his companion. So if a character with Wits 4 owns a Guard God can (as a team dog + handler) roll 4 basic dice (handlers Wits) and 3 skill dice (dogs Scout skill) instead of using his own Scout skill.

Lego
Topic Author

Tue 21 May 2019, 02:41

I really appreciate your replies. I can see on pg 115 you can still ride a mount in a non-open zone you just loose the bonus movement, but why would you not be able to use a bow when you have horse back fighting. Pg 76 it says ot only works if you are in an open zone. I could get no charge but why not shoot while standing there.

Also if you had fast shooter 3 and horse fighting 1 could you use the mount movement of 2 to run while you attacked as 2 fast actions. And when would the attack take place. Since you can move and shoot what range does the shot take place at. You could start at long (normally-3 ranged) run up to near (+0) shoot as the same fast. Then shoot again at near and run back to long. Without the mount you could still do that but only back to short (-1). Not as tricky as the 4 attacks with a sword but still very good.

Fenhorn

Tue 21 May 2019, 06:45

I can see on pg 115 you can still ride a mount in a non-open zone you just loose the bonus movement, but why would you not be able to use a bow when you have horse back fighting. Pg 76 it says ot only works if you are in an open zone. I could get no charge but why not shoot while standing there.
The idea is that you move all the time if you are on a horse, to take the advantage to be on a horse (like circle the wagon). It is more complicated to use a bow from horseback than to fight in melee from horseback so I guess this is to reflect that. If you want to allow this, do it. It will make horse archers more dangerous.

Also if you had fast shooter 3 and horse fighting 1 could you use the mount movement of 2 to run while you attacked as 2 fast actions. And when would the attack take place. Since you can move and shoot what range does the shot take place at. You could start at long (normally-3 ranged) run up to near (+0) shoot as the same fast. Then shoot again at near and run back to long. Without the mount you could still do that but only back to short (-1). Not as tricky as the 4 attacks with a sword but still very good
This is the big bonus being on a horse in combat. So, yes, if you at Long range, you could do this:
* Slow or Fast action. Use Fast Shooter 2 to move and shoot. The horse has a movement of 2 so you will move to Near. You use Fast Shooter 1 so you can shoot without preparing the bow.
* Fast action. Use Fast Shooter 2 to attack and move. You use Fast Shooter 1 so you can shoot without preparing the bow. You then move back to Long range agaub.

... and now we know why the Mongolians where so effective.

Lego
Topic Author

Wed 22 May 2019, 05:29

I understand the mount and character is treated as 1 character as far as actions but what about area affects and fear. I have only plaid 2 games and in 1 we fought a monster with a fear effect or some kind of smell i cant recall. Would you roll for yourself and the mount? Would you keep it calm with animal handling?

What about area affects. Like fire or i think we faced some kind of area lightning. Would both take damage.

Fenhorn

Wed 22 May 2019, 08:12

Area effects, like fire, would of course damage both the rider and the mount. Fear is more difficult. I guess it is up to the GM to decide. Mounts most likely don't have wits so they can't be damaged by fear attacks, but if the GM feels that the mount could be spooked, an Animal Handling skill test to control the animal in those cases. "Smell attacks" damage Agility and mounts have Agility so if the GM thinks that the mount can be affected by this terrible smell, that can be handled as normal. So on the riders turn (the horse doesn't have its own initiative if ridden) both the rider and the mount will suffer damage to Agility because of the smell, if the GM thinks that the is smell is something that should affect the mount.