rcrowder
Topic Author

What are Your Willpower House Rules?

Thu 25 Apr 2019, 19:41

Obviously as is true in all games, many of us will house rule certain parts of the game for our play group.

These are mine in regards to use of Willpower:

Player and Game Master Rule
---------------------------------------

When you would take damage from rolling 1s on stat dice you can spend willpower one for one to muscle through and press on taking no damage.  You must be able to spend enough WP to soak the damage from all 1s. You do not gain willpower.
(This basically allows players to trade off getting Willpower for not taking damage.  Its not usually used in combat builds but non combat builds make use of it semi regularly.  On a GM it just allows me to push NPC threats further, which considering stock npcs quickly end up underpowered compared to pcs, it maintains them as a threat)

Game Master Only Rules
------------------------------------

Spend a WP to push a monster attack roll, or a monster armor roll
(as these are rolls that technically cannot damage the monster, I don't allow them rerolls on them)

Spend willpower to roll additional dice on an attack (treated as a skill die).
(I don't want to make it just auto damage, the luck is part of the game to me)

Valyar

Re: What are Your Willpower House Rules?

Fri 26 Apr 2019, 11:14

I am not using any house rules for the willpower, but I will think the GM one that allows to spend a WP to push a monster attack or armor roll. If I want to push this, might have to compensate the players with something :)

Rymdhamster

Fri 26 Apr 2019, 20:44

We have a base pool of WP equal to (Intelligence+Charisma)/2, that resets after a nights sleep. 

As it resets, any additional WP you've gained during the day are lost. 

In addition to this, we may spend 2 WP to reroll one dice regardless of what it shows. This does not count toward pushing or anything like that. 

rcrowder
Topic Author

Mon 06 May 2019, 03:59

We have a base pool of WP equal to (Intelligence+Charisma)/2, that resets after a nights sleep. 

In addition to this, we may spend 2 WP to reroll one dice regardless of what it shows. This does not count toward pushing or anything like that. 
Wow...thats quite a bit of willpower to have constantly, but if that works for your group thats awesome.

Rymdhamster

Mon 06 May 2019, 15:16

Wow...thats quite a bit of willpower to have constantly, but if that works for your group thats awesome.
It is? It's rounded down (darn GM!) så we averege 3 WP per person when we wake up in the morning. During the day they usually fluctuate between 0 and maybe  6 or 7.

If anything, I'd say it's very few considering how many cool abilities we have to spend them on =)

pellejones

Tue 07 May 2019, 09:54

Our only house rule regarding WP is that you are not allowed to push a roll that would be a success even without any 6s.

jinntaoh

Tue 14 May 2019, 13:15

I allow to use WP as extra armor or willpower fueled resistance to soak the damage after the final damage inflicted is computed.
For each WP spent, you can roll a 1d6, each 6 will negate one damage.
It can be used also for all source of damage or damage to other attributes than might.
If you spend WP this way you cannot gain WP in the same round.

hperantunes

Wed 15 May 2019, 03:14

I'm house-ruling Bind Magic to have a semi-permanent cost in WP.

The amount of WP spent to BIND a spell, for reasons other than determining its duration, will be locked in a character's sheet and cannot be used or spent for any purposes until the magic item gets destroyed - at which point the same amount of WP immediately gets unlocked.