pixelgeek
Topic Author

Starting WP

Sat 30 Mar 2019, 23:24

Maybe I missed it in the rules but do players start with an WP? Especially spellcasters who seem to really need it

Valyar

Re: Starting WP

Sat 30 Mar 2019, 23:29

You begin the game without Willpower Points.

pixelgeek
Topic Author

Sun 31 Mar 2019, 02:52

That puts a bit of a limitation on spellcasters then

Fenhorn

Sun 31 Mar 2019, 05:34

That puts a bit of a limitation on spellcasters then
Only in the first session. As soon as the group has started to do anything, the WP will start to come in.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Valyar

Sun 31 Mar 2019, 10:47

The limitation is not only on the spell-casters, but on all characters as many abilities require Willpower point(s) to be triggered.

pixelgeek
Topic Author

Sun 31 Mar 2019, 16:27

Only in the first session. As soon as the group has started to do anything, the WP will start to come in.
These comments are all based on me not running a session yet.
The limitation is not only on the spell-casters, but on all characters as many abilities require Willpower point(s) to be triggered.
I understand that it affects all characters but spells seem to be more of a focus for a Sorcerer than a kin ability would be for another character so blocking off access to them utntil the get some WP seems more of a restriction.

Valyar

Sun 31 Mar 2019, 16:35

If you find it restrictive, you can always grant 1 WP at the start of the campaign/adventure :)

Tomas
Site Admin

Sun 31 Mar 2019, 17:22

I understand that it affects all characters but spells seem to be more of a focus for a Sorcerer than a kin ability would be for another character so blocking off access to them utntil the get some WP seems more of a restriction.
Hi!
This has been discussed a few times before, and a key thing to be aware of is that in this game, spellcasters are not meant to only cast spells. That's why they can be as good in hand-to-hand combat as other characters. The idea is that they don't use magic frequently, but rather as a powerful finishing move toward the end of a session. Think Gandalf in Lord of the Rings - in most fights, he uses a sword, not magic.
Fria Ligan

pixelgeek
Topic Author

Sun 31 Mar 2019, 21:26

This has been discussed a few times before, and a key thing to be aware of is that in this game, spellcasters are not meant to only cast spells. That's why they can be as good in hand-to-hand combat as other characters. The idea is that they don't use magic frequently, but rather as a powerful finishing move toward the end of a session. Think Gandalf in Lord of the Rings - in most fights, he uses a sword, not magic.
Good point. I'll make sure the players are aware of this as well. Thanks