Klas

Re: Lethal magic

Thu 17 May 2018, 21:12

Or use WP to pay the result down in steps of 5 points, or something.

Fenhorn

Thu 17 May 2018, 22:00

... or use WP to re-roll on the mishap table.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

soda

Fri 18 May 2018, 08:47

... or use WP to re-roll on the mishap table.
Yes, I would always prefer a reroll than a reduction (as the reduction limits the number of possible outcomes = less exciting).

Blatifagus

Fri 18 May 2018, 11:21

I honestly dislike the idea of re-rolling a misshap.
A misshap occurs when the magician loses control of the magical forces. Why would he be able to control them in order to lessen the impact?
It's far more likely that an experienced magician makes less errors in the first place. Therefore it's more logical to be able to ignore a BANE or two.

[edit] For exampel. In order for a misshap to occur, the number of banes must equal or exceed the magician's level in the magical talent the spell belongs to.

Figge

Fri 18 May 2018, 12:55

I honestly dislike the idea of re-rolling a misshap.
A misshap occurs when the magician loses control of the magical forces. Why would he be able to control them in order to lessen the impact?
It's far more likely that an experienced magician makes less errors in the first place. Therefore it's more logical to be able to ignore a BANE or two.

[edit] For exampel. In order for a misshap to occur, the number of banes must equal or exceed the magician's level in the magical talent the spell belongs to.
I agree with Blatifagus about re-rolling a misshap. 

My idea would be to roll one less die for each step lower the spell level is compared to the magician's level in the magical talent the spell belongs to

So for example: If you have the second level of the magical talent,
you can cast a first level spell with the power level of one safely.
If you cast a first level spell with a power level two, you role one die, and so on.
Last edited by Figge on Fri 18 May 2018, 13:08, edited 2 times in total.

Eldhierta

Fri 18 May 2018, 13:03

But then a sorcerer with level 3 in the chosen magical discipline could cast a level 3 spell, power level one, with only one WP with no possibility of misshaps? Sounds like magic just became safe again :/

Eldhierta

Fri 18 May 2018, 13:08

I agree with Blatifagus. 
Another idea would be to roll one less die for each step lower the spell level is compared to the magician's level in the magical talent the spell belongs to
So for example: If you have the second level of the magical talent, you can cast a first level spell with the power level of one safely. If you cast first level of spell with a power level two, you role one die, and so on.
This sounds more reasonable, even if I do think that magic should never be safe. It could be less dangerous, but never safe. That's why I prefer my version of multiple rolls on the mishap-table. If a spell goes wrong you can't avoid the effects of the magic escaping your control, but if you're experienced you can direct it and lessen the blow.

Figge

Fri 18 May 2018, 13:30

This sounds more reasonable, even if I do think that magic should never be safe. It could be less dangerous, but never safe.
That is true. When i think about it, It does not feels right if it can be 100% safe at any given time. I pretty much like the way the rules are now in the beta. I guess it's just the idea of the chanse getting the insta-death roll 66 is the same if you are a level one casting a fist level spell or a level three casting a first level spell.

Fenhorn

Fri 18 May 2018, 13:34

I think I like the idea that casting a spell of lower rank and you can ignore one bane is good. It is simple, even if it means that casting a lower ranking spell makes it a lot safer to cast spell, at least if using few WP when casting.

But, you could also keep the magic system as is but change the grimoires rule. A grimoires lower the spell ranking one step, but since that is for the most part not useful anymore (it is useful when chance casting). To change that, instead of letting a spell cast with a grimoire counts as one rank lower, you let the spellcaster ignore a bane rolled if he is using a grimoire. This way, if a mage wants to cast a spell, that he has ranks for, safer, he use a grimoire. It will take longer to cast but you have a book of instructions to guide you. A grimoire can still be used to cast a spell of higher rank than your rank, the chance casting no longer automatically generates a mishap, it will generate mishaps normally (if the dice say so).

Edit: or use WP to ignore a rolled bane (the mage tries to repair his spell by adding more power to it).An evil GM can here force the player to roll a d6 for this repairing WP as well (meaning a mage tries to repair his spell by adding an extra WP, but the d6 rolled for that extra WP can also become a bane). Those extra WP doesn't increase PL, they are only there to repair the spell.
Last edited by Fenhorn on Fri 18 May 2018, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Eldhierta

Fri 18 May 2018, 13:37

This sounds more reasonable, even if I do think that magic should never be safe. It could be less dangerous, but never safe.
That is true. When i think about it, It does not feels right if it can be 100% safe at any given time. I pretty much like the way the rules are now in the beta. I guess it's just the idea of the chanse getting the insta-death roll 66 is the same if you are a level one casting a fist level spell or a level three casting a first level spell.
Hence the increased amount of rolls on the mishap-table. More experienced sorcerers get the opportunity to "choose" the outcome. The risk of you rolling 66 three times in a row is infinitely small.
GZIP: Off