skysterman
Topic Author

Permanent injuries/death

Tue 17 Apr 2018, 00:21

When testing my player went down twice during the first part of the dungeon. He got two non lethal injuries so he walked it off like it was nothing after resting. But during combat the npc's were still up and he asked if he was going to get killed just being on the ground. Is there a coup de grace attack/ability that I missed? In that situation the enemy would have gone for his companions but in the event that someone was fighting alone with an enemy what would happen after they are broken?

I also really liked the permanent injury table from mutant and was wondering if anyone had implemented it/thought about modifying it for this game. I feel like the main issue is that with there being only one "permanent death" option in reality there is not much punishment for players going down. I might have misread somewhere but was not sure if it covered this topic.

Fenhorn

Re: Permanent injuries/death

Tue 17 Apr 2018, 00:51

"he walked it off like it was nothing after resting". In my games if a player become broken by damage (strength) they get a critical injury. Most critical injuries take 1d6 to 3d6 days to heal (halved with a successful Heal roll). I wouldn't call that "walk it off" since the character have a penalty during the healing time. Sure the Strength points can be healed back upp after a good nights rest (and some food).

If the critical injury is lethal. Someone needs to make a Heal roll to stop the patient from dying (someone also needs to make a Heal roll to to halve the healing time as well). There is a 5-8% chance of getting one of the instantly dead critical injuries (11% if you count "dead in d6 turns as well". Perhaps not so high but the most dangerous thing with lethal injuries is the penalty that you have during the healing time.

Coup de Grace is explained on page 97. Here I like it that you suffer one point of doubt (and has to pay one WP) in order to do that. A monster of course can do that at any time (hey, it is a monster) but most humanoids can't. Unless if they have the cold-blooded talent.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

skysterman
Topic Author

Tue 17 Apr 2018, 03:27

Looks like I missed the part where it said days not hours. with hours it seemed easy to walk it off, so I was a bit confused, days makes more sense!

The coup de grace would only apply to other elves/dwarves/exc right? not to monsters? it seems unfair to make it against enemies that are inherently evil.

Fenhorn

Tue 17 Apr 2018, 06:21

The coup de grace would only apply to other elves/dwarves/exc right? not to monsters? it seems unfair to make it against enemies that are inherently evil.
That's how I see it.  Monsters are monsters after all and animals are animals.
When it comes to humanoids. Well, I am GM, so everything that I see deserves it, will have the Cold-Blooded talent to level 1 to 3.

Eldhierta

Tue 17 Apr 2018, 10:09

Also, unless you really dislike them, your players being broken are fantastic quest hooks. It is a waste to let characters just die by letting the enemies use Coup de grace, in my opinion. Kidnap them, imprison them, force them to watch their favourite npcs get slaugthered because they were too weak to defend them. Good times all around. Being broken is not a defeat, it's an opportunity ;)

Fenhorn

Tue 17 Apr 2018, 10:21

Also, unless you really dislike them, your players being broken are fantastic quest hooks. It is a waste to let characters just die by letting the enemies use Coup de grace, in my opinion. Kidnap them, imprison them, force them to watch their favourite npcs get slaugthered because they were too weak to defend them. Good times all around. Being broken is not a defeat, it's an opportunity ;)
So true  :)
I have not thought about it in FBL yet, but in MYZ I (GM) have never used coup de grace. It is far more interesting if the players loose a battle to rob them and then leave them to die. Hopefully waking up d6 hours later and also hopefully before any critical injuries have killed any of the them. I can hear the music over a training montage of characters in training to get revenge.

skysterman
Topic Author

Thu 19 Apr 2018, 18:11

That's a good idea-now that I have reread the rules i can see the ways to make critical injuries more detrimental to the pcs, along with making them want to avoid going down if they can help it.

Eldhierta

Thu 19 Apr 2018, 22:34

...it seems unfair to make it against enemies that are inherently evil.
Well, good and evil are constructed concepts of morality. Who's to say if it's easier to look a demon in the eye before slaying it than say, a puppy.

Then again, as long as YOU believe in your concept of morality I guess it would make it easier for you to kill creatures that you consider inherently evil. Though that would mean that the same logic would apply to creatures diametrically opposed to your view of morality. So inherently evil creatures or monsters would not have to roll for any eventual Coup de Grace against you.