LReed
Topic Author

Healing & Insight connected Attributes

Sun 04 Mar 2018, 02:09

Hi, I am just skimming through the Alpha and I have found kind of odd that "Insight" is linked to "Wits" and "Healing" to "Empathy".

Wouldn't it be better the other way round?

Coriolis has Medicurgy based on Wits (not MYZ, I know).
And Sense Emotion in MYZ is connected to Empathy. And Sense Emotion skill seems to be quite similar to Insight.
You would also have a Druid (Wits) better suited for Healing than a Minstrel (Empathy) what makes sense...

PS: Maybe this was discussed in the super-long thread on Skills but I couldn't find it.

9littlebees

Re: Healing & Insight connected Attributes

Sun 04 Mar 2018, 02:24

Yeah I agree. I think they should be changed.

Also, most of the posts in that Skill thread were speculation / suggestions before the Alpha was released.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

King_Kull

Sun 04 Mar 2018, 10:00

I concur with the above. Empathy is better for a healer. Empathy is also good for Insight but as the balance of skills would be unbalanced Insight should be Wits.
I am king!

LReed
Topic Author

Sun 04 Mar 2018, 12:30

I concur with the above. Empathy is better for a healer. Empathy is also good for Insight but as the balance of skills would be unbalanced Insight should be Wits.
So, I guess you mean that if the connected attributes were swapped as I suggest, Empathy would be a very uninteresting Attribute to have... I can agree here

However, Insight is used to "determine an NPC’s state of mind." or to know "which is the NPC’s strongestemotion right now – for example hate, fear,contempt, or love".  Using Wits instead of Empathy for that does not feel right

Also, Healing has more to do with knowledge and experimentation than with understanding others' feelings or your charisma...

Anyway, maybe it is better leave it as it is now for the sake of balance

Tomas
Site Admin

Thu 08 Mar 2018, 22:14

Remember that Healing is used to heal all types of misery, not only damage, but also doubt and confusion.

Insight is based on Wits as it is about seeing through other people's lies and manipulations - you don't need to be a good manipulator yourself to do that.
Fria Ligan

King_Kull

Thu 08 Mar 2018, 23:38

Remember that Healing is used to heal all types of misery, not only damage, but also doubt and confusion.

Insight is based on Wits as it is about seeing through other people's lies and manipulations - you don't need to be a good manipulator yourself to do that.
After I thought about it this way it makes sense ;)
I am king!

LReed
Topic Author

Fri 09 Mar 2018, 01:32

True! The rules clearly say that Healing is for all kind of Misery. I did not get that.

Also, I can agree on seeing through lies with Wits. Not so much on telling about emotions, though.

Overall, it seems the best solution, now. I'll feel much better when rolling the dice ;)   Thanks!

GoblinLoveChild

Sun 25 Mar 2018, 09:42

Dont forget you are free to swap associated stats as you please while playing.
SO making a diagnosis about whats wrong with a person may be an easy Wits + healing roll
But treating someones shell shock / mental trauma due to a horrific experience may require empathy + healing.

Eldhierta

Sun 24 May 2020, 21:26

Since this never made it to RAW (where the recovery of broken attributes is split evenly between Healing and Performance), should Healing and Insight switch attributes? Feels more intuitive that way, and fixes the issue that all healers "must" pump up their EMP, to the detriment of their other attributes.