gagaas
Topic Author

[Moved] Introducing me and some questions about Gen Lab

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 14:56

Hello Everybody,
I am new to the Zoone ! Glad to see you.
I am a french player and GM in MYZ GenLab. I discovered this setting with great pleasure (thanks to a friend) and go through all the stakes to the (near) end of Paradise Valley − "the artist", my seer racoon, dying in the cataclysmic events of the campaign ending (no spoil I presume so that's all about it). The freshness and gloomyness of the game setting and mechanism convinced me to start my own game as a GM with a fellow player friend of mine and so… here I am, looking for first hand precisions. Hope I could find these here.
Indeed, I am pretty happy to find a forum widely english speaking, because me reading swedish is the farsest from fluent. So unless somebody here speaking and reading both swedish and french, english is great in that case !
My first inquiry is about the names of the NPC in Paradise Valley. I was wondering what kind of liberties the english version took with this.
For instance, the alpha of rat castle is named Fink in english. Though I could manage to find a german composer during the nineteenth century named Fink, this doesn't sound like a lab name to me. Most of rats don't have a lab name in GenLab book wich surprised me a lot. I understand that maybe SmallScab got her own name by herself, but not Fink. Someone here could possibly grant me with explanations about the name of the alpha of the rats in the swedish version ? If it is Fink, I should admit that it refers to Gottfried Wilhelm Fink, which is clever.
Anyway, thanks for reading and "pardon my french" :) !

Gagaas (aka Alexandre)

PS : by the way, my big dream was to open a cinema !

Fenhorn

Re: Introducing me and some questions about Gen Lab

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 15:11

The name for Fink in the Swedish version is "Bettet" which means "The Bite" which perhaps doesn't sound so good in English. Fink is a good name I think. I means he is a bad guy and that is what fink means (among other things).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

gagaas
Topic Author

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 16:55

Thanks a lot !

I agree that Fink is a good name. I just feel that it sounds more like a nickname : as you said, it is related to the "bad guy" personality of the character. I was wondering, did he choose himself that name ? Is it the way other rats used to name him (perhaps from a time long ago, before he became alpha) ? And above all, how will I answer to those players of ours who will surely ask why the alpha isn't wearing a lab name and why he is called like that.
Because clearly, I see that it does grant something to the character, and that there is a kind of parallel with Smallscab who stands as his rival on the "good guys" side. But GenLab isn't available in french, and we gonna have to translate a lot of vocabulary specific to the game. The kind of names who tends to be nickname are among these, so I was wondering how Fink would be named in french ! ;) Anyway, I'll figure something based upon those thought, but I wanted to make sure he wasn't named from a human from ancient time.

Thanks again
Gagaas

gagaas
Topic Author

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 21:45

Huh… May I ask the same question about Largo ?

Cheers

Fenhorn

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 21:57

Huh… May I ask the same question about Largo ?

Cheers
Her Swedish name is Stora, which means Large.

Fenhorn

Re: [Moved] Introducing me and some questions about Gen Lab

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 22:00

Moderator Action: Moved the thread to the Genlab Alpha subcategory.

gagaas
Topic Author

Tue 05 Oct 2021, 11:03

Thanks again Fenhorn, appreciate.

I figured out that "Nuisible" could be a good name for Finck : litteraly it means harmful, but used in french to name the rodents in general.

May I ask for some others …? :oops: :geek: :mrgreen: Smallscab ? Glitter ? Wildpaw ?
Haha ! Painful frenchman, could'nt he learn swedish ! :lol:

Cheers
Alex

Fenhorn

Tue 05 Oct 2021, 12:24

There is a table here where all the ranks was listed (the ranks was missing in the 1st edition), that same table in the same order was listed in the Swedish Corners as well, so I combined the two. I hope it is all.
English - Swedish
Grazer - Beta
Fink - Bettet
Nightclaw - Cassius
One-Hop-Kills - Ett-Skutt-Dödar
Aldrin - Fuglesang
Grimalkin - Grönöga
Laika - Lajka
Shagga - Lurva
Sniffer - Nosa
Spot - Pricken
Gizmo - Pryttel