BurnAfterRunning
Topic Author

Running MY0:GA online advice

Tue 05 May 2020, 14:31

Hi all,

I'm about to start running the Genlab Alpha campaign online, and just looking for resources etc.
For our previous campaign we used Roll20 and Hangouts - but I've heard rumours of a Discord dice bot for MY0 that might make that easier. There is a character sheet setup in Roll20 but it's for MY0 not Genlab so there's slight differences - has anyone got any advice / links about this? Thanks in advance

BlissRage

Re: Running MY0:GA online advice

Fri 05 Feb 2021, 06:51

Wondering the same. Not sure I would have time to tweak the roll20 MYZ sheet.

May have to get creative on this one and convert PDF of character sheets to html to cut/paste into handouts... love to get some stuff that already exists tho

Shads

Fri 05 Feb 2021, 16:51

Ey lads don't worry I gotchu!
In the middle of running it online myself, roll 20 works great with it.

I'm unavailable to do it today, but I'll help ya tomorrow AND I have a lot of material from genlab alpha on my computer, I wouldn't mind sharing, granted ya can give me proof you have the book *don't wanna give away material one should pay free league for *

But ya can give proof and I'll share it with you privetly to use.

Regarding roll 20s character sheet it's perfect
Yes it's base year zero but the literal only difference is in names like it would say empathy instead of instinct, and mutant points instead of feral points, know zone and l know nature etc etc. So you as DM just remind them and keep it in mind and it's all good

It also makes RPing easier sense it automatically counts your weight out for you, including food, water etc.

Same with dice.
Need to roll for comprehend?
Press the skill comprehend, it counts it out for you
Click your gear
Adds it for you
Then click roll

Boom it counts your attribute dice, skill dice and gear dice, color code them clearly and instantly show everyone the result of the dice in chat

Have you taken damage?
Click the skull along that attribute you have damage in
BAM next time you roll. You automatically have minus 1.

It's very nice and comfortable

It's super easy to use for everyone

I would not recommend using discord, sense genlab alpha along with all MYZ, uses colur coded dice and it's super important.

You press a roll for example and get a 1.
Was the 1 green, take no damage, yellow? Take damage, black? your gear take damage.

This I imagen is not the case with discord or any other system, sense the dice is not color coded, not to mention how the paradise Valley map makes moving around super easy to track regardless that you are playing online

Highly recommend roll 20.

Any questions, just shoot em my way and I'll help out with what I can! :3

BlissRage

Fri 05 Feb 2021, 17:39

Yeah roll20 has been dynamite. The only thing not built in is pushing a roll, but it turns out that's not a big deal and with situational modifiers etc it's best to manually see how many you need to roll and just load the roller on the character sheet.

I hadn't realized it was that close so maybe I leave sheet as is, boom done.

So, I have a TON of MYZ stuff . . . I preped every monster/threat/phenomenon with tokens and graphics and so on . .. but besides character sheet, how do you handle:

1. the operation sheet
2. the watcher sheet
3. travel/exploration

I'm a bit confused by the genlab alpha map and the way in which the struggle to have rations/water plays out. It's super-clear in MYZ, and since it's healing i think it's important in genlab but I don't see it being as much of a hex crawl. It seems more of a planned operation "encounter" and playing out on-foot travel might be ok but is not the actual point of the game. In other words, it seems like a shorter campaign and it's not about exploration as much as operations and getting out of the lab.

Shads

Sat 06 Feb 2021, 10:58

unfortunately i can not help with regarding the Operations/Wathcers aspect, as I am Swedish, we used the swedish edition and it did not have this aspect in it at the time.
In my English group, i felt that it was...cumbersome and hard to understand (Its not in retrospect) but when playing Online, i feel that it is a lot more work than reward as opposed to if everyone was around the same table.

I do recommend using it though, as the book is re-written , re-structured to fit this aspect , as opposed to the Swedish edition, and you can actually recruit the other tribes you are not directly in (A problem/ Freedom that arose in the swedish edition, you had to write in the other habitats yourself i you wanted to give the PC the option to recruit more tribes)

3: travel exploration.

Is fairly simple, it says how long it takes to travel from one side to the other, If i am not mistaken, taking the roads is easier, but riskier regarding watchers, taking the forest dont have as much watchers, but monsters etc.

There is a very comprehensible random encounter table within the book i highly recommend using, It has got encounters for all of paradise valley, depending on what type of terrain they are currently crossing.

absolutely do NOT LOOK AT GENLAB ALPHA AS MYZ BASE ADVENTURE!
Genlab Alpha like the other editions " Elysium, Mechatron" All in the end serve once perpous.
To introduce thier respective race to the base world of MYZ, and to give an origin to them.

None of them are meant to be a super long extended trek of traveling, they are all within an closed adventure and space , that all then ends with
" And then the survivors left out in to the zone"

Genlab Alpha should be looked as an extended adventure, if you play it according to the adventure therein, however Free league designed it along with all the other "Expantions" As a Stand alone edition, so if people wanted to , they could only have that box, but still have enough material to have hundreds of adventures within the Paradise Valley.

I would not worry TOO much about counting proper distance, regarding travling in paradise valley, what is more important is what happens on the way there " if anything" remember it is supposed to be a very opressive, setting , so even if they dont encounter a hostile watcher, have them pass a checkpoint, let a drone fly over them and scan them, have them witness an animal get abducted, (Again the random encounter table is very good for this) etc etc.

So instead of saying "you travel to the rat habitat without issue," Add a sight, impression, or the like, not to mention all the interesting animals they can encounter, and depdning on your PC fight with.

regarding food and water, Paradise valley is everything BUT the zone.
water is easily accessible throughout the valley, food as well "If you have a hunter" and trading within should work the same.

I began my economy in the valley with food and trading, as base, water worked for the right person but its easily accessible so not that many.
this...worked..to a start, however i soon realized i could not just basically make " Food = Money" as it soon turned out it was way to easy for them to acquire "via the hunter" food.
so, seeing as it was so easy for them to get food (Rule wise, you can EASILY make that harder and fuck it up for em ;P) so the rest of the valley should not have such a hard time acquiring food , with a few tribes expections.

so basically i started diminishing the value of food as a currency sense most animals in the valley could easily acquire it, not remove, diminish, and all of a sudden a nice balance was found, mixing both trading and food,

"Oh you want this bow with 2 damage and 2 gear dice?, well better give something of equal value, "

" a knife with 1 damage but 2 gear dice?....hmmm...throw in 4-5 food and we got a deal"

again this can easily be remedied by the hunter , but remember, they cant spam rolls, if they fail, and want a successes they better push, or waste a lot of hours finding nothing before trying again, I also limit thier class use, to tops 2-3 (3 if im kind) tries a day, there is only so much light in one day, and generally encourage to not roll again if they get a success, but it varies.

an important note, as boring as it is, is to keep track of weight, a LOT of times, pure food hoarding have been stopped due to shit being to heavy to carry.
no one likes item management, but in genlab alfa, and MYZ in general, it is important.

well I am never able to find myself short so i hope ya like this essay xP

BlissRage

Sat 06 Feb 2021, 20:46

Great essay :)

Helps me get a feel before starting; thanks so much!