Ratatöskr
Topic Author

attribute unfairness

Tue 18 Jun 2019, 00:01

I have some questions about attributes in the game:
1. As in Mutant: Year Zero Core Book discribed are new mutations gained by getting a permanent trauma. So every new mutation drains the mutants attributes by one to a total of three for four mutations (maximum number of mutations). The rules in Geb Lab Alpha are saying that the "tainted" animal mutants can choose to replace one of their two animal powers from start into a mutation. that would be their first mutation. What if they gain another one by a permanent trauma? Whould´nt that mean they will loose one point in an attribute of their choice as well? 

2. Maybe mutations are more powerful than animal powers, although you can have only a limit of four no matter which one you have, so they must be similar of their might. Is´nt it unfair that animal mutants gain two at start anyway while human mutants has to choose if they want a second one at start? The animals get their second power for free while humans has to pay it with one point lower in a attribute of their choice. Depending on the answer to my first question this imbalance could gain even bigger if tainted animals gain more mutations.

3. If you play a youngster animal mutant over several ingame years it will become mature and even elder one day, right? Whould´nt that mean it´s attributes whould sink but it will gain more skill points in the same way?

Moderator Action: Change font colour and size since I couldn't read the text.

Fenhorn

Re: attribute unfairness

Tue 18 Jun 2019, 00:14

1) A mutant will mutant more than three times. If he mutates a fourth time, you draw a new mutation card and discards one of the four old ones. This is in the errata thread. A tainted animal mutant follow the rules of the power they use. So if they use a mutation, they follow the mutation rules (and can gain a new mutation with everything that means). The only thing regarding mutations they don't use is MP, they use their FP instead.

2) Animal mutants never decrease attributes when they gain new animal powers (except if they are tainted, see my answer above). Mutations are more power, they have a more direct effect while animal powers usually affects skills or demand skill use. Animal powers are somewhat weaker but are also "safer" to use (you don't degenerate attributes).

3) Hm, if you, really play for that long then I guess that you will lose an attribute point. You don't gain extra skill points though because, you have actually played (and gotten xp) all that time.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ratatöskr
Topic Author

Tue 18 Jun 2019, 17:05

Thank you for answering my questions this fast, Fenhorn. Now everthing is much clearer to me. But I have still two questions. I hope you can help me again.

If a mutant (human or animal) mutates more than it can gain powers (a fourth or more time for human mutants) an existing mutation will replaced. But if this happenes, will the body become more weakened? Says: will every time the mutant gains a new mutation it´s attributes decreased? even if it has the maximum number of mutations and an old mutation will be replaced.

New mutations can not replace existing animal powers. But somewhere I read that animal powers can replace existing mutations. Does this mean an animal mutant can completely de-mutate when his last mutation will replaced by a new and last animal power? if the answer is yes, I guees it will not get back his decrease attribute points, right?

Fenhorn

Tue 18 Jun 2019, 17:14

If a mutant (human or animal) mutates more than it can gain powers (a fourth or more time for human mutants) an existing mutation will replaced. But if this happenes, will the body become more weakened? Says: will every time the mutant gains a new mutation it´s attributes decreased? even if it has the maximum number of mutations and an old mutation will be replaced.
Every time you mutate, you will gain a new mutation even if you already have four in which caste you must lose one of your old one. In the long run, mutants can die from this.

New mutations can not replace existing animal powers. But somewhere I read that animal powers can replace existing mutations. Does this mean an animal mutant can completely de-mutate when his last mutation will replaced by a new and last animal power? if the answer is yes, I guees it will not get back his decrease attribute points, right?
At least in the Swedish rules, as soon as you have four powers, an animal mutant can't get new animal powers. If you get a new mutation, it will replace an old mutation. I don't have access to the English GA rulebook so I don't know if that one contains a newer version of this rule.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ratatöskr
Topic Author

Tue 18 Jun 2019, 17:22

Again thank you very much for the quick answeres. I think I know now all I was not sure about.
For your understanding, I use the german rules. I can not wait to see all the existing books translated into german.
You all do a great job, keep it up.