finarvyn

Rules for characters with powers?

Tue 09 Jul 2019, 04:40

Kids on Bikes has kids having adventures and encountering weird things. Tales from the Loop has kids having adventures and encountering weird things. Both seem like fine games and I own a copy of each, but KoB has some rules for kids (mostly NPC kids) with some sort of psychic abilities like can be found in Stranger Things. TftL, as far as I can tell does not. This is important to me because my wife basically only plays wizards. Her rationale is that she can be a non-magic person in the real world, so if she does role playing she wants to be a magic person.

Tales from the Loop has some excellent mechanics and I like the setting better than that found in KoB, but I really need some sort of way to allow for some psychic magic-like talents in a campaign if I want my wife to participate. Has anyone here tried some sort of Stranger Things approach with kids having talents? How did you rule it, and how did it go?
Marv / Finarvyn
Recently discovered The Loop and the Forbidden Lands, and loving both!
Pre-ordered the Alien RPG and am digging what I see!
OD&D since 1975, Amber Diceless since 1993.

The1TrueFredrix

Re: Rules for characters with powers?

Sat 13 Jul 2019, 10:20

It’s an interesting problem, but having thought about it for a couple of days I can’t think of a workable “cost” for power Talents, within the ruleset of TftL I mean. 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/
GZIP: Off