toddbanister

Re: Mystic Powers on Generation

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 14:28

From what I can see (and how I would play this at my own table), there is a "Mystical Talent" option under the Fugitive concept, so if you choose to play a Mystic, that is your "free" Mystical talent - no different than any other concept talent. The only way to get a fourth talent at character creation is to be a Humanite.
Then its more of a poor choice of wording as it should have been stated that "if you choose to play a Mystic, then you must choose Mystic Talent as your starting talent" or something along those lines. 

As it is written now, it can be left to an open interpretation. But I am fine with it being either way for my players - if they go in deep to the powers of a Mystic - then they just bind themselves deeper into the storyline. 

Take care,
TB

9littlebees

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 14:31

Then its more of a poor choice of wording as it should have been stated that "if you choose to play a Mystic, then you must choose Mystic Talent as your starting talent" or something along those lines. 

As it is written now, it can be left to an open interpretation. But I am fine with it being either way for my players - if they go in deep to the powers of a Mystic - then they just bind themselves deeper into the storyline. 

Take care,
TB
You don't have to choose the Mystical Talent option, even if you play a Mystic. You can buy one later after character creation. This is a pretty open system in that respect.
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

baylox

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 14:34

I've always interpreted things as Doctor KoT says, but the Swedish rulebook sort of make it sound like you get an additional talent, in the form of a mystic power. It first says that you get three talents (concept, group and Icon), but right after that it says that mystic powers are a separate category of talents.. (blah blah blah) "If you begin the game as a mystic, you also get to choose a mystic power at the start of the game".

Does this imply on top of the three that everyone gets or simply that you can choose one, as it is - in fact - one of your three options in the concept? I can't really tell and it really could be interpreted either way.

My thinking is do what feels right by you, but it might be a good idea to actually give that character some (additional) trouble for being a mystic, so that other players don't feel like they've been shortchanged. Regardless, the use of mystic powers gives the GM a DP, so... ;)
Titta vad jag gjort! / Things I've created:
Coriolis - talanger och referensmaterial
Symbaroum - Unsung Heroes of the Abomitorium
Ur Varselklotet/TftL - mysterier & spelböcker

9littlebees

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 14:43

Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree with you all that there would be a 4th Mystical Talent, EXCEPT that it is provided as a concept option for the Fugitive. If that's the case, then in theory a Fugitive>>Mystic could get 2 Mystical Powers at character creation... Maybe that's correct. I guess it really could be more clear.

Calling @Nils or @Kosta!  ;)
I make YZE games (https://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?author=Matt%20Kay) and produce predominately Free League content on my YouTube channel (https://youtube.com/@3skulls)

toddbanister

Tue 04 Sep 2018, 14:49

My thinking is do what feels right by you, but it might be a good idea to actually give that character some (additional) trouble for being a mystic, so that other players don't feel like they've been shortchanged. Regardless, the use of mystic powers gives the GM a DP, so... ;)
This is exactly my way of thinking. If you REALLY want that extra mystical talent... then you must realize what you are getting yourself into. My way of think is based upon a lot of Hero games over the years - You want an extra power - then you will pay for it with a drawback that I as the GM will definitely use in the game.

But regardless, it would be nice to have an official ruling here (and I am perfectly fine with either direction they rule).

Take care,
TB

taranion
Topic Author

Wed 05 Sep 2018, 13:12

I see, you are as unsure as I am. ;-)

Personally I would interpret the "free" mystical talent as "additional" (aka fourth) talent. But I agree that it is an somewhat unbalanced advantage, thus my question here.

I am trying to implement a generation tool for Coriolis, thus an official clarification would be good.

The1TrueFredrix

Wed 05 Sep 2018, 17:32

Somewhere in the book it says, three starting talents, four if you are a humanite. Given that it doesn’t say four if you are a humanite or mystic, I assume mystics don’t get a free power. 

Edit this came up on Facebook: I wrote “Any concept can start with the mystic powers skill - most are limited to 1 point. Only the Fugitive/Mystic can start with 3 points in the skill. Only the Fugitive (but all the Fugituve sub-concepts) can start with an actual power (Talent) though. So, to be clear, I think even the Mystic only gets one power. The section on starting talents on page 68 specifies that only Humanites start with four.” Rickard Antroia, who writes for Fria Ligan replied “yes”.
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

taranion
Topic Author

Thu 06 Sep 2018, 09:33

Ah, thank you for pointing me to that.

That settles it. The "free" mystical power talent is only the free choice from the concept.

Ansalander

Fri 19 Oct 2018, 23:18

This thread is giving me a headache...

Here we go, starting from somewhere near to first principles....:

If I choose Fugitive as my concept:
Among the three options I can select for my starting concept/personal talent appears to be the Mystic Power Talent. It’s in the box on the right side of the concept description page and everything.. That’s misleading though because on p.77 it says you have to have a skill level of {at least} 1 in the Mystic Powers Skill to learn a power/talent AND on p.64 it clearly says you can’t start with any skill levels at all in the Mystic Powers Skill unless you choose the subconcept Mystic.

So I choose the subconcept Mystic. This appears to give me the opportunity to start with as many as 3 skill levels in the Mystic Powers Skill, since it is one of the Mystic’s sub-concept skills and that’s what sub-concept skills are... skills that you’re not limited to 1 in. Actually though, it gives me more than that. It gives me the absolutely exclusive opportunity to start the game with ANY skill levels at all in the Mystic Powers Skill (p.64).

So, during character creation, these are my choices:
1. Play a character that is NOT a Fugitive/Mystic and start with no skill levels in the Mystic Powers Skill (because only Mystics can do that during character generation), and therefore no Mystic Powers Talent (which means no Mystic Powers).
2. Play a Fugitive/Mystic with 1, 2, or 3 skill Levels in the Mystic Powers Skill, the concept/personal talent Mystic Powers and of course the talent-associated Mystic Power itself.

I could also be a weirdo or contrarian and choose to generate one of these characters :
3. A Fugitive/Mystic with 3 skill levels in the Mystic Powers Skill, but with a concept talent OTHER THAN the Mystic Powers Talent, leaving me with no actual Mystic Power at all at the start of the game.
4) A Fugitive/Mystic with ZERO skill levels in the Mystic Powers Skill and therefore be left with only two concept/personal talents to choose from and no actual Mystic Power at all. Maybe this character is some sort of charlatain....

It’s a tough decision, but I decide to go with option 3. I also choose to make the character with only a 2 Empathy just to maximize the irony...

Core book p.64
Mystic Powers Skill
... To acquire this skill when creating your PC, you must pick the sub-concept Mystic...

Core book p.77
“In order to learn a Mystical Power, you need {at least} a skill level 1 in the skill Mystic Powers.”

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 07 Nov 2018, 21:56

Ah, thank you for pointing me to that.

That settles it. The "free" mystical power talent is only the free choice from the concept.
This is correct. Sorry for the slow reply here!
Fria Ligan