Kaffeebecher

Rules clarification Exorcist and Spirits

Sun 27 Nov 2016, 18:30

I am loving Coriolis so far but of course there are always questions:

For now I wonder how the talent Exorcist works exactly and what it does.

Furthermore how can you hurt spirits with which mystic powers?

Charlie D

Re: Rules clarification Exorcist and Spirits

Fri 02 Dec 2016, 17:35

I am loving Coriolis so far but of course there are always questions:

For now I wonder how the talent Exorcist works exactly and what it does.

Furthermore how can you hurt spirits with which mystic powers?
Spirits like djinn and hazared have a power to possess people. A successful use of Exorcist forces the spirit out of the possessed person. Also, see symptoms of possession on page 244.

I would think that an exorcism would also work on a spirit not possessing a body and banish it just as if it was possessing a person. Based on the description about spirits, I'd also allow an attempt at exorcism using Culture via Icon rituals or possession of a talisman.

I would not have  a roll against Mystic Power Exorcism be an opposed roll. However, I would run all exorcisms using Culture via Icon rituals or possession of a talisman as an opposed roll against the spirit's Mystic Power although the rules don't state this specifically. 

JTDimino

Sun 04 Dec 2016, 05:58

I would not have  a roll against Mystic Power Exorcism be an opposed roll. However, I would run all exorcisms using Culture via Icon rituals or possession of a talisman as an opposed roll against the spirit's Mystic Power although the rules don't state this specifically.
I agree with Charlie about not making it an opposed Mystic Power roll - just have the PC do a check and see if they get on or more successes.  However, if you're going to allow the use of Culture with a ritual and/or talisman, I would consider giving it a modifier of -1 or -2 (maybe -2 if they don't have a talisman but -1 if they do.  I think the ritual should just be assumed to be part of the Culture roll in that case).  The fact that the Exorcist power exists means that the system is encouraging people to take that if they want to exorcise spirits.  In order to preserve the incentive for PCs to take that power, I think that checks to exorcise spirits without the power should be more difficult.  If you fail a Culture roll to exorcise spirits and don't have a PC who has or wants to get Mystic Powers, then it could be an opportunity for the GM to introduce a story hook where your party needs to hire an exorcist - sounds like fun to me!  But of course you or your GM is free to run it however you or they want. :)

Kaffeebecher

Wed 21 Dec 2016, 13:23

Ah, thanks for the clarification!
Ok, I would let it be an opposed roll with Mystic Power and also allow for an opposed roll with Culture against Mystic Power (from the Djinn) under certain circumstances (like a blessed talisman is at hand).
GZIP: Off