VoxenTass

Re: skills question

Wed 05 Apr 2017, 19:45

Hi,
On page 25 under the skills section it states "You can set your concept skills to a maximum of level 3, and other skills to a maximum of 1." So yes, a player could buy all their skills at 1 and get as many as possible, but even then, best case scenario they could only have 12 of the 16 available, as 12 is the most skill points any player can start with. Also note, the 3 point cap is mixed between general and advanced skills, and even though the above line says concept skills, I'm sure it's intended to refer to each subgroup as many skills unnecessarily overlap otherwise.

The1TrueFredrix

Thu 06 Apr 2017, 07:13

When choosing skills, are you restricted to putting points only into those advanced skills listed in your character (sub)concept? I assume Yes, but can't see it written anywhere. Possibly I'm just being blind.

I'm sure this will probably play out just fine in practice, but I can imagine a player trying to 'game the system' by putting one point into every advanced skill (regardless of whether this would actually be a good idea or not). Is there anything to stop such a player doing that?
You can put a point into any skill you like. The skills listed on your concept are the only ones you can put more than one point in. The mechanic exists to give each PC different specialities and thus spread the spotlight time around in play. If a player wants to play a generalist, and have a single point in lots of skills, there is nothing stopping them. 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Crosbie71

Thu 06 Apr 2017, 09:33

You can put a point into any skill you like. The skills listed on your concept are the only ones you can put more than one point in. The mechanic exists to give each PC different specialities and thus spread the spotlight time around in play. If a player wants to play a generalist, and have a single point in lots of skills, there is nothing stopping them. 
Thank you -- ah yes, I see that the concept skill rule offers some limitation and forming. Still, no distinction between general and advanced skills. I wonder how it'll play out.

Jegergryte

Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:36

The "Faction Technology" book ...
Wait... Wuh? What? Have I missed this ... is it out? Or are you referring to the Swedish version? I'm confused.
"Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
-Tom Lehrer
Make sure your brain is engaged before putting your mouth into gear.

JohnK

Mon 10 Apr 2017, 17:51

The "Faction Technology" book ...
Wait... Wuh? What? Have I missed this ... is it out? Or are you referring to the Swedish version? I'm confused.
Hullo, Jegergryte,
I think there's a mistake there.  The Faction Tech stuff will be appearing in a small PDF supplement that was part of the stretch goals of the Kickstarter.  Having just finished-- Oops, sorry can't say that.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to the material on Faction tech. :)
...As for the border, the border is wherever the fleet sits at the moment. (Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh)

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

Jegergryte

Mon 10 Apr 2017, 17:57

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it! I "need" it for my planned character :P Good to know that it isn't out yet, and I'm only slightly envious some are apparently lucky enough to play-test it ;) :P

I pledged a lot for that Kickstarter ... a silly amount, but I got all the different core rulebooks, so I doubled up on the other stuff. Hehe. :P

I may just run a small game tomorrow, unless the guys prefer Mutant I can't really decide :D - main HARP SF campaign is on a break as two of regular my players are travelling.
"Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
-Tom Lehrer
Make sure your brain is engaged before putting your mouth into gear.