Zapp

Re: Coriolis vs. Mutant : Same but different?

Wed 17 Aug 2016, 11:12

In most of the p&ps I played, "age rules" do not exist. In my youth, this usually meant that player characters were 20 to 25 years old, all of them, by player choice. Boring! Suits me right to buy a roleplaying game that has only 20 to 25 year old Mutants around. Next session, I'll introduce a kid, I tell yas.  :P
Well, in my case it was that games in that bygone era had age modifiers, which meant that everybody played 20-25 year olds, if for no other reason than nobody wanted penalties for being young or old.
In short, the age diversity in Coriolis is very welcome to me and will be played up to maximum effect.
Coriolis is probably a great place for a campaign where your elders are respected in a larger degree than our own western youth-centred culture, yes.

Vainamoinen
Topic Author

Wed 17 Aug 2016, 11:30

Well, in my case it was that games in that bygone era had age modifiers, which meant that everybody played 20-25 year olds, if for no other reason than nobody wanted penalties for being young or old.
And Coriolis has, in my opinion, not much wiggle room for these kind of modifiers. Losing a single attribute point would be a disaster already! :P

I'm convinced that background, training and past experience – and of course the player's willingness to adjust skills and attributes to said background – basically make 'age modifiers' obsolete for characters age 14 to 60. A well schooled 14 year old may well outwit the 31 year old captain who only ever saw the inside of his ship. At 16, agility and possibly strength may be at the absolute height in your life give or take a few years.  

And, to take an example from my personal real life, a regular runner not even 40 years of age can frequently be outclassed by seniors 60+ on the track.

Though I'll say, it's a bit annoying when those leave me in their dust! :lol:

Zapp

Wed 17 Aug 2016, 11:32

Exactly.

You could describe two characters with the exact same array of stats completely differently. Both in appearance and the way they succeed at things.

And in fact, you should! :)

Vainamoinen
Topic Author

Wed 17 Aug 2016, 23:01

By the way, here's a great rant on youth-centered culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKUZ42T9diU

Believe me, that's not the culture I'll recreate for Coriolis. :)