Working on ark projects
Posted: Mon 22 Oct 2018, 01:32
I just played an MYZ session where the players and GM were stumped by the rules regarding work on ark projects, specifically in regards to realism and plausibility. Questions:
- When does rolling for work upon the project happen? Upon embarkation of the project, or after a specified time has passed (refer to question 2)? My personal stance is the latter.
- How does one determine how long it takes to complete a project? If, for example, successful rolls took place upon embarkation of the project (as in question 1), and the Work Points were reduced to zero, would the project magically complete that very instant? Or would it take a certain number of hours/days? My personal interpretation, based on the gaining of XPs rules on page 25, would be that one day of work was done.
- In your play experience, is it normal to go through multiple sessions without having worked on the ark? E.g. when PCs go venturing in the zone for a couple of sessions. I'm concerned about the loss of opportunities to increase DEV levels and also XP. Or would artifacts found in the Zone more than make up for the lack of work on projects (and also gaining "zone exploration" xp in place of "work on the ark" xp)?
- If players complete an ark project via successful rolls, does the project contribute to development levels before or after the roll for Session Body Count? E.g. If, as per question 1, players roll at the embarkation of the project, and we decided that a project could not magically appear, is it okay for the project to still increase DEV levels before the roll for Session Body Count at the end of the session takes place? Or would DEV levels only increase at the start of the next session? My personal opinion is that there can be a fast forwarding of game time to account for the completion of the project within the same session.
- This next question is in regards to the Zone Fever threat. How would the GM decide how many People in the Ark die per day? Or does "dying" as stated in the text mean that the people are in critical stages but technically not dead yet? And what does "If nothing is done – quickly – the People will perish" mean? What does quickly here mean in terms of game time?