d(sqrt(-1))

Thoughts on a house-rule for Comprehend/Jury-Rig

Fri 05 Feb 2016, 13:28

I was reading through the section on Artifacts and DEV levels, and it occurred to me that given the Comprehend rolls as they stand, there is no real difference between understanding e.g. a Tech 5 item and a Tech 30 item.

So I was thinking that it might be feasible to apply a negative modification to the Comprehend roll (and possibly to Jury-Rig too), something like -1 for every 10 points (or fraction thereof) between the item's DEV requirement and the relevant Ark's DEV score/s.

Most artifacts in the book top out at DEV 20, so this would give -2 modification (at most), and would give incentive to get DEV levels up.

Any thoughts? Would it make the early game too difficult?

Youndi

Re: Thoughts on a house-rule for Comprehend/Jury-Rig

Mon 08 Feb 2016, 14:44

This is a very good idea and one I shall implement in my own campaign starting tomorrow.

d(sqrt(-1))

Re: Thoughts on a house-rule for Comprehend/Jury-Rig

Tue 09 Feb 2016, 11:49

Ok - I would be interested to hear how it works out!

I suppose if you wanted more difficulty you could even have the modification be -1 per 5 points of difference, but that might be too much.

Note that it also automatically means that the Enclave tech etc that may turn up will have fairly large negative modifications even if the PC Ark has tech 20-30.
GZIP: Off