SaFe
Topic Author

Cthulhu RPG

Tue 02 Jun 2020, 11:10

Hello,

i've searched the internet, but sadly didn't found any actual information about the status of the Cthulhu RPG.
It wuld be great if anyone could give a status quo about the game.

Nilo

Re: Cthulhu RPG

Tue 02 Jun 2020, 12:54

As I have understood, this game will, of course, happen, but it won't be finished in a long while. In their podcast, they said that they would take their time--which sounds wise to me.

Ebrim

Thu 04 Jun 2020, 03:57

Yeah, my understanding is that it's being worked on but we don't have anything solid yet about when we'll be likely to see it go to release or KS.

Rangertheman

Tue 09 Jun 2020, 17:13

A guy at a Swedish RPG Facebook group wrote that he wanted to see the ruleset for the Cthulhu RPG be based on the Symbaroum engine. I think that's a brilliant idea!! The corruption system can easily become a sanity system, abilities can be re-worked to better fit an investigation-based game, etc.
Proofreader Extraordinaire

baylox

Tue 09 Jun 2020, 20:59

"The guy" here. ;) But yeah, I think that it would work really well. There´s so much to like about Symbaroum's engine and if they balance the abilities to be less combat-focused I'd be all for it.
Titta vad jag gjort! / Things I've created:
Coriolis - talanger och referensmaterial
Symbaroum - Unsung Heroes of the Abomitorium
Ur Varselklotet/TftL - mysterier & spelböcker

SaFe
Topic Author

Wed 10 Jun 2020, 09:09

I would rather prefer if the game is not based on the Symbaroum ruleset. Personel preferences naturally, but Fria Ligan's 2house-system" would me my preference for the game. Understandable and short rules without so many abilities, talents, etc. is much better in my opinion.

Rangertheman

Wed 10 Jun 2020, 09:24

The problem with using the MYZ engine for this game too is that it will pretty much be Vaesen or Tales from The Loop but with Cthulhu mythos creatures. Could make it an alternate setting for Vaesen then.

Henke

Wed 10 Jun 2020, 15:07

I would rather prefer if the game is not based on the Symbaroum ruleset. Personel preferences naturally, but Fria Ligan's 2house-system" would me my preference for the game. Understandable and short rules without so many abilities, talents, etc. is much better in my opinion.
Same here. YZ-engine is brilliant and I´m pretty sure the Cthulhu version would extend the Alien RPG´s stress-system to a nice sanity-system.
I skuggan av Trakorien - Bloggkrönika från Svavelvinter
Förbjuden Zon - Bloggkrönika från Version Noll
Spelledarens Pod - Av spelledare, för spelledare, om spelledare, samt ett och annat spelmöte

Rangertheman

Wed 10 Jun 2020, 17:04

The Mud & Blood podcast did an interview with Tomas back in May, not sure it has been published yet, where they touched briefly upon Cthulhu RPG. Preliminary plans (subject to change of course) include:
  • Set in the 20s and 30s
  • One-shot adventure format
  • Not set in New England but global
  • Focused on the dread of almost certain death or insanity
  • Definitely not as many skills as Call of Cthulhu
I have probably forgotten some of the things Tomas said. My interpretation of what was said is that the game will share many similarities with the Alien RPG Cinematic Play, both when it comes to the format and the stress mechanics. From the sound of it, it will definitely be a variant of the YZE. If the WIP dice mechanic of Twilight 2000 works well, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that in Cthulhu RPG too.

baylox

Thu 11 Jun 2020, 08:24

From the sound of it, it will definitely be a variant of the YZE. If the WIP dice mechanic of Twilight 2000 works well, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that in Cthulhu RPG too.
This sounds entirely plausible and probable. *gentle weeping* ;)
Titta vad jag gjort! / Things I've created:
Coriolis - talanger och referensmaterial
Symbaroum - Unsung Heroes of the Abomitorium
Ur Varselklotet/TftL - mysterier & spelböcker