Bengt Petter

Re: New cthulhu rpg ?

Mon 16 Aug 2021, 16:18

Ok, I think most of the potential challenges with this game has already been pointed out here. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu certainly is a somewhat crowded franchise. A new game has to bring something new to the table to be interesting. Modular adventure sites, like in other YZ games, have been mentioned. That could be interesting if it’s done well.

But what I’m mainly thinking of is a simple but cruisal question: who are the PCs supposed to be? That’s central to all YZ games, and I’m quite sure it will be in this game too. Could it perhaps be something else than a group of investigators? Perhaps people who aren’t on a mission, but involved in other ways? That would certainly be more unexpected. Maybe something could be found in Lovecraft’s own work. To really rethink the conventional group is probably hard, but interesting if it could be done.

As said in some of the interviews, there will be a premise similar to Alien in this game - short stories (cinematic) and campaign mode. A way to make the campaign part more interesting, could be to focus on a couple of well fleshed out NPCs and their agendas. Perhaps characters from Lovecraft novels and short stories? I’m thinking of characters like a mad professor, a cult leader or someone who have been affected by the Mythos in some other way. Knowing such a person could be a starting point for the PCs. It would be both true to Lovecraft’s fiction and something we haven’t really seen in any of the other games. Just adding another organisation, like The Society in Vaesen, wouldn’t be that surprising since it’s already been done in many other games. And in a game based on written fiction, it would make sense if some characters were a part of the basic framework. Instead of a traditional RPG base, you could develop a ship, a library, a museum, or even a family legacy (maybe in several generations) - and all this should be connected to a powerful NPC.

So what I’d prefer is something more than Call of Cthulhu with YZ rules. It’s rather a game that’s even closer to Lovecraft’s fiction.

SaFe

Wed 22 Sep 2021, 23:11

Now that they anounced Blade Runner i feel a little frustrated as the Cthulhu RPG seems to be even pushed further back. A bad move, as it was pormised as part of the Kickstarter for the beautiful Art book. I bet a few backers are not too happy about this - at least me.

Fenhorn

Wed 22 Sep 2021, 23:38

Now that they anounced Blade Runner i feel a little frustrated as the Cthulhu RPG seems to be even pushed further back. A bad move, as it was pormised as part of the Kickstarter for the beautiful Art book. I bet a few backers are not too happy about this - at least me.
They are made by different teams. Many of FLs games are for the most part written by people outside FL. For example Vaesen is written by Nils Hintze, while Nils Karlén from FL acts as a game director for that game. Some other work may sometimes be made by one or more of the FL team, but the heavy lifting comes from someone outside FL. Joe LeFavi (I don't know who that is to be honest) will serve as the lead setting writer, brand manager, and producer on the game series.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

The1TrueFredrix

Sat 25 Sep 2021, 11:55

Joe leFavi is a gamer who's day job is an IP broker. It was Joe that hooked up Alien and Free League. Matt Kay is I believe working on the Cthulhu RPG
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

SaFe

Wed 06 Oct 2021, 17:30

Good to hear, that they are actually working on the Cthulhu Rpg as mentioned in the Free League Update Videon 9/27/2021.
Hopefully we hear more soon.

Byrax

Tue 16 Nov 2021, 11:03

Yes, put some spin on it while the AtMoM II is fresh of the printers!