baldrick0712
Topic Author

A New Life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 14:15

I hope the game fleshes out the Off-World Colonies. I know there is some connection between the Alien and Bladerunner universes. Tyrell Corporation's Replicants are in many ways an earlier iteration of artificial human later perfected by Weyland-Yutani Corporation's Androids. So would the Off-World Colonies of Bladerunner be the Alien universe's colonies but at an earlier epoch?

Byrax

Re: A New Life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 15:03

I hope they keep them as in the movies - unknown and mysterious, yet alluring.

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 19:05

Well I hope "Tannhäuser Gate" get's a footnote somewhere at least.

Byrax

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 19:26

Yes, let any use be perhaps in ‘cinematic” scenarios or as subtle references, but keep the “all-the-details-shown” away.

I believe part of the success of great sci~fi are those off-hand references; like “he flew the gullfire over St Petersburg’, the Tannhauser Gate, etc.
Keep the imagination spinning.

Bengt Petter

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 20:41

Since Alien and Bladerunner are two separate franchises with different owners, I doubt there will ever be any kind of crossover. But of course, fans could do whatever they like in their own RPG campaigns. Personally, I don’t think the two franchises go very well together (replicants aren’t androids), even though I know there is some Blue Ray easter egg hinting a connection.

When it comes to the off-world stuff, I agree with Byrax that Earth (and perhaps even only L. A.) will be enough for this setting. However, I do think that it would be interesting to develop various kinds of off-world connections. I mean things like PCs and NPCs with off-world experience and people arriving from or going to off-world colonies. Maybe there is even some kind of space airport near L. A.? That would make the off-world colonies matter in a direct way even if they are never described or mapped.

Balou1917

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 00:27

I hope the game fleshes out the Off-World Colonies. I know there is some connection between the Alien and Bladerunner universes. Tyrell Corporation's Replicants are in many ways an earlier iteration of artificial human later perfected by Weyland-Yutani Corporation's Androids. So would the Off-World Colonies of Bladerunner be the Alien universe's colonies but at an earlier epoch?
I am also hoping that the colonies get fleshed out. Between what Roy says and where he has been, and the link to the movie "Soldier", I'm really looking forward to this game.

Bengt Petter

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 07:37

The two Bladerunner movies are neo noir movies set in L. A. It’s a very specific genre based premise. What genre would be used in an off-world supplement? Of course, you can imagine someone like Deckard leaving Earth for some kind of mission, but would it be cool? Would it still feel like a Bladerunner movie? I don’t think so. I’d rather say that a neo noir L. A. is the setting. If you go off-world, you go off genre and then you would have to reinvent the entire setting. Problematic.

In this case, I think it’s also a franchise question. Free League doesn’t own the Bladerunner brand. They can’t change or add whatever they like. My guess is that they will have to be quite conservative in terms of worldbuilding. Much like the anime comic books, that are now also a part of the expanded universe. Most (or all) of the stuff you find there is very familiar. It’s neo noir in a dystopian L. A.

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 08:08

The two Bladerunner movies are neo noir movies set in L. A. It’s a very specific genre based premise. What genre would be used in an off-world supplement? Of course, you can imagine someone like Deckard leaving Earth for some kind of mission, but would it be cool? Would it still feel like a Bladerunner movie? I don’t think so. I’d rather say that a neo noir L. A. is the setting. If you go off-world, you go off genre and then you would have to reinvent the entire setting. Problematic.
It's been suggested that the movie "Outland" is in the same universe as "Alien" and "Bladerunner". Outland is basically about a lawman going to a mining colony on one of Jupiter's moons to act as its "town marshal" so to speak. Free League have already said that scenario "cases" need not necessarily involve Replicants so I can certainly see the opportunity for some noir detective work on an Off-World Colony like that seen in the movie "Outland".

Byrax

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 09:36

Those kind of scenarios/investigations will be welcomed! Detailed settings Off-world fdor specific adventures would be fine IMO, just as long as the books do not try to expose, extrapolate or explain "everything" on a grand scale. Keep the mystery!

Bengt Petter

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 10:27

Outland is a separate franchise, right? It’s all about ownership. Bladerunner isn’t Outland from a legal, copyright point of view. I’d say that combining two separate franchises and making that a new canon would be very hard. It would be a total rebranding that I find very unlikely. Of course, you can do whatever you want in your own campaign, but that’s not what I’m talking about here.

Having that said, investigative work on a mining colony near Jupiter seems like a cool premise. But why should it be connected to the Bladerunner franchise? To me, it seems more suitable as something separate. Or maybe as something for Alien.