thelostsouldk
Topic Author

The Audran Trilogy and the Blade Runner RPG

Tue 05 Oct 2021, 14:18

I think the Blade Runner RPG might become a good match for roleplaying in George Alec Effinger's Audran-trilogy ('When Gravity Fails,' 'A Fire in the Sun' and 'The Exile Kiss'). The series is based in a middle eastern metropolis and is a noir inspired, cyberpunk tale about freedom, obligations, family, personal identity and copious amounts of drug use. I am certain that there would need to be a few rule modifications/additions for moddies (personality altering computerchips) and drug use, but do I think that the main RPG rules might make a great basis for a game set in the Budayeen and the City.

Investigating mystrious murders, getting involved with the crime and politics of the City, while trying to be independent and survive, might be a great basis for a campaign. At the same time the religious themes, an authoritarian and currupt regime and a setting where sex change and body modification is common, is playing into many of the current troubles and debates.

In some ways the two settings could co-exist, with Effinger's trilogy set in the future og Blade Runner, but to be honest, I do think it would be best to keep them seperate, as the themes are quite different, with some similarities.

Sidenote: I own the 'When Gravity Fails' sourcebook for the Cyberpunk rpg (and I am still looking for the Hardwired sourcebook - which seems to have incresed greatly in price the last couple of years). It is nice, but is truly showing its age. It is mainly the rules themselves I have a problem with, even if the layout and art is very dated, but that is part of its charm.

There is also a collection of short stories, but I have not been able to get hold of it in physical form, but it should be a good collection, nonetheless (I prefer reading physical books).