Bengt Petter
Topic Author

Memories as game features

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 21:41

Memories have a significant meaning in the Bladerunner setting. In the original movie the replicant Rachael has implanted memories and in the sequel Bladerunner 2049 there is even a memory designer. I’m sure memories will be included in the game in some way. But I think it’s also up to us as gamers to be creative. There will allways be room for new ideas. Hopefully this thread can work as a kind of ”memory bank” where we can brainstorm ideas for how memories can be used in the game.

In the movies memories are both something poetic and philososphical. How would that work from a game point of view? In what ways could memories matter for the characters? To make memories important in the game would, in my opinion, be a way to be true to the thematic core of Bladerunner. And it would also be a way to really use something important in the game, which is something else than just describing or mentioning.

So here are a couple of ideas for making memories a game feature:

1. Character sheets (or maybe a specific memory sheet?). A replicant PC (or any PC) starts the game with one or several childhood or youth memories. Maybe you should be able to pick memories from a list (there might be standardized memories). Or just make your own memories. They should be personal and matter in the game in some way. Perhaps because they are about a character who will show up later. Or maybe it could be memories from a certain location. A replicant PC can’t be sure if the memories are designed or real. It should be possible and important to find out while playing. Maybe there important clues hidden within the memories?

2. A stack of memories. Replicants like to collect items connected to their memories. It could be photos of previous lovers or friends, a diary, a stack of postcards, newspaper clippings, some personal letters or something else with a personal, intimate touch. These items are important and could also be included in the game as handouts (or at least notes). Of course, these materialized memories could work like clues in a case (they might belong to a suspect or a victim). Finding such items will make the game more personal and emotional. Of course, it should also be possible for your character to expand the stack of memories with new items.

3. Not even childhood memories are static. A character could suddenly remember something that she or he had forgotten. Someone can show up and make the past resurface again. Or maybe a dream makes old memories come back. Of course, it has to make sense, but it’s also a way to develop or change your character. And even forgotten memories can be a part of a designed mechanism. It might have something to do with the designer who want certain memories to be triggered in certain situations or by a certain individual.

4. It’s important that memories can be designed. It might be painful or disturbing for a replicant to track how a certain memory was once designed - and why. It’s also possible that a particular memory wasn’t designed at all. That could an interesting revelation in itself, just like it was for K. Finding memory designers (there seems to be more than one) are probably hard - and maybe dangerous. You might have to go to a dangerous or remote corporate location and/or risk being tracked down by people who wants to stop you. Of course, a designed memory (or a real one) could also be a cruisal clue. It might take you somewhere unexpected. You could find out something very important about yourself.

5. Archives store memories - or stuff that has been forgotten. It might be a corporate archive, a personal archive or maybe the LAPD archive. There are many files in such archives. Some of them contain very personal and/or dangerous information. It might take some smartness (or just a bribe) to get inside. Archivists are memory people with great knowledge. The PCs (or NPCs) could meet them and ask questions. Maybe they want to steal, edit or destroy a certain file? Or maybe find something else stored in the archive - like a DNA sample, a map, a letter or even a designed memory.

That was my first memory brainstorm. As I said: I do get that memories most likely will be included in the game in some way. Hopefully we could explore memories further in this thread. I imagine a lot could be done just by brainstorming. Memories are something that’s very specific for Bladerunner. And I haven’t really seen these this particular theme being really explored in any other game. Have you?
Last edited by Bengt Petter on Wed 04 May 2022, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

Attackmack

Re: Memories as game features

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 13:30

It could be that they do it similar to how Alien has its agendas for cinematic play.
Ad the scenario progress the players ”unlock” more and more of their, in this case, memories.

Personally im not a big fan of that concept though, character motivation should be decided by the players, and in the case of memories in this case it should be up to the GM. I dont mind pointers and suggestions in written material, but i dont want it hardwired into the game like alien does its agendas.

Bengt Petter
Topic Author

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 15:02

I actually didn’t think about the Alien agenda concept at all when I posted this. My idea is more about conceptualizing something that’s specific for Bladerunner. Memories really tell us who the characters are. I think it’s something very beautiful and poetic in the movies.

However, giving this idea a second thought, I’d say a memory should be about some (or all) of this: people, locations, items, situations and feelings. It might seem obvious, but it also makes it possible to list stuff for creating new memories. From a conceptual point of view, a memory is a short scene or just an image. As in the second movie: a couple of kids and a birthday cake.

And of course, both humans and replicants should be able to have memories in the game. But I guess, memories should be mainly for PCs (even though NPCs also have memories, you just don’t have to describe them).

Rather than having memories designed by the GM only, I’d suggest a more cooperative approach. A GM should be able to add memories, but the players too. They might use memories as a tool for being more involved in what’s happening in a scenario. The GM could use memories as hints.

As I said, I haven’t really seen any other game dealing with memories in this more conceptual way. I think it would fit this particular setting. And how cool wouldn’t it be to visit a memory designer or even steal a memory from a corporate archive? It would even be possible to build an entire campaign around designed or just recorded memories.

Bengt Petter
Topic Author

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 11:13

1. In this video there are several interesting thoughts on what memories, intimacy and touching means in Bladerunner. There are also some quite revealing details about the Russian-American writer Vladimir Nabokov and one of his novels - an obvious inspiration for the second movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VqDO9LyvXPQ

2. Another video about meaning of memories in Bladerunner. There are some interesting thoughts on how memories are cruisal to the characters.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mu76KTttwbw

3. This is an article where a couple of questions are answered. It’s about the second movie, and only some of it is about memories. I’d say it’s stuff that’s worth a second thought.

https://uproxx.com/movies/blade-runner- ... replicant/