Mahatatain
Topic Author

Kickstarter?

Thu 23 Dec 2021, 16:16

Will there be a kickstarter for this game that people can back?

Thanks.

Grimmshade

Re: Kickstarter?

Mon 27 Dec 2021, 07:07

Good question!

Byrax

Mon 27 Dec 2021, 11:30

If the license permits it, otherwise not (like Alien which did not Kickstart but used pre-orders).

Mahatatain
Topic Author

Wed 12 Jan 2022, 19:28

Thanks for the info.

Lazergoblin

Mon 17 Jan 2022, 05:53

Hnnnnggggg! Need... more... updates...

Vader

Mon 17 Jan 2022, 16:32

Kickstarter … not extremely likely to happen, I suspect.

Out of the three TTRPG’s that I am aware Genuine has licensed from the properties they work with, only the middle one — Altered Carbon — actually had a Kickstarter. And that one went … so-so. The dust has still not settled completely.

The other two — ALIEN and Dune — have both gone straight to print. Much more successfully.

I don’t see anything with these experiences that would convince Genuine to allow Ligan to go with KS this time either.

I’d be delirious to be proven wrong, though...
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Kaybe

Thu 20 Jan 2022, 17:43

As much as I'd like to see a Kickstarter on this one, I don't think they really need one. Kickstarters are great for gauging interest in a new or fairly unknown setting. Blade Runner, on the other hand, straight up sells itself. Discussions about the game are everywhere, spoken in the kind of fervor reserved for already published games. It's already on every single 'Most Anticipated' list online. Free League really doesn't *need* a Kickstarter for this.

Vader

Thu 20 Jan 2022, 18:55

I suspect the economics of this are a bit more complex than that ... precisely the fact that it is so popular and highly anticipated might actually be the strongest argument for a Kickstarter.

With a wildly successful project, you could amass substantial up-front cash that can be employed to expand the scope (new chapters/sections, adventures, illustrations, page count, etc) and/or improve quality (print, materials, binding, etc) of the product through stretch goals, well beyond what would be possible if you go straight to print.
That way, you can also fund supplementary materials — dice, GM screen, additional books, cards, boxes, starter sets, miniatures, battle maps, etc — to be released together with or soon after the core game, that might otherwise have to wait or not be made at all.

As one might anticipate a Blade Runner RPG Kickstarter doing no worse than other licensed RPG Kickstarter projects, it might be worthwhile going that route. Question is just, as I noted earlier, is Genuine game for it?

As for what factors may govern Genuine's decision to allow or disallow use of the Kickstarter platform in this project — whether it's purely business considerations plain and simple, previous experiences, or some of the more … politically flavoured misgivings that seem to have companies like Mōidiphüs, Green Ronin, Grim&Perilous, Monte Cook, et al. — but not Ligan, mercifully ... at least, not until just recently — getting their knickers all in a twist (apparently having to do with objections to Kickstarter's union policies, and/or some interesting conviction that Kickstarter's ambition to explore blockchain based protocols to make future internet-based crowdfunding better for everyone will (a) force them into cryptocurrency and (b) get their asses canceled by the Gretaists, who believe it will blow up the planet).

While on the subject of Genuine's internal deliberations though — another interesting factor here is that this actually seems to be the first time Genuine comes back to a game publisher for seconds.

So far, they’ve kept shopping around — all three aforementioned games were each published by different companies. Genuine now to all appearances having committed to come back to Ligan with Blade Runner … I can’t help but have a question or two.
Suffice it to say, it would have been interesting to have a peek behind the scenes here.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

thenorthman@me.com

Sat 23 Apr 2022, 19:28

I am sure you guys saw already but for folks browsing the forums and possibly do NOT know.

May 3rd Kickstarter start for this!

WOOT WOOT!

Vader

Thu 28 Apr 2022, 09:49

This will be interesting! As I noted before, this is the first time I am aware that Genuine (a) comes back to a publisher for an RPG, and (b) comes back to Kickstarter for an RPG. So, it will be very interesting indeed to follow how this thing plays out...

Most interesting of all however will be to see, when all is said and done, how much actual creative input from the community the project will allow. Although — apart, of course, from generously accepting help from Backers as free, uncredited proofreaders :mrgreen: — I'd suspect ... probably not much.

Again though — I'd be delirious to be proven wrong, of course!