Balou1917
Topic Author

Bladerunner rpg

Wed 22 Sep 2021, 17:41

Absolutely stoked at this title becoming a game. Especially with Free League behind it. 2022 is looking better all the time.

morphology

Re: Bladerunner rpg

Thu 23 Sep 2021, 21:10

Wow, took long enough. So many other "cyberpunk" games have come and gone, many of which tried to emulate the noir-existentialism of BR. All games have been homebrewed up til now. The question really becomes, can this new game live up to all the lore and expectations that have accumulated over the past 40 years?

Attackmack

Fri 24 Sep 2021, 10:27

Wow, took long enough. So many other "cyberpunk" games have come and gone, many of which tried to emulate the noir-existentialism of BR. All games have been homebrewed up til now. The question really becomes, can this new game live up to all the lore and expectations that have accumulated over the past 40 years?
After FL absolutely nailing it with Alien I cant think of a better company to do it!
Im superhyped to add this to my shelf!

Byrax

Sat 25 Sep 2021, 07:56

Intrigued! Hope for a simpler version of the system like Vaesen.

Bengt Petter

Sat 25 Sep 2021, 09:42

Since the movie Bladerunner is a film noir (set in a cyberpunk world), I’m hoping that this game will also focus on those genre specific themes and tropes. Raymond Chandler’s novels are obvious inspirations. Ridley Scott has talked about it in several interviews. So it’s not just dystopian sci fi. I’d say that the replicants, the LAPD and the corporate aspects are interesting mainly because that stuff is put in a film noir context. It’s a mix of two genres. The RPG has to deal with both.

If you take the Marlowesque style Scott talks about seriously, you should be able to build your own Bladerunner campaigns around a group of private detectives in L.A. (or maybe a special unit within the LAPD). Each scenario would then typically be a new case. So there should be tools to create your own cases in a hardboiled detective noir style. By tools, I mean something more than just lists of missions (as in the Alien RPG). Film noir is a genre with a lot of specific tropes, and it could certainly be interesting to create a campaign from noir tropes (in this particular cyberpunk setting).

In case you don’t know Chandler’s novels - the detective Philip Marlowe is the main character in several novels. Deckard is more or less a Marlowe copy put in a cyberpunk world. The urban L. A. surroundings are also similar in many ways.
Last edited by Bengt Petter on Wed 29 Sep 2021, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

Skillstuntman

Tue 28 Sep 2021, 23:57

If you take the Marlowesque style Scott talks about seriously, you should be able to build your own Bladerunner campaigns around a group of private detectives in L.A. (or maybe a special unit within the LAPD). Each scenario would then typically be a new case. So there should be tools to create your own cases in a hardboiled detective noir style.
This would be amazing. I love the film noir style of the films. I also hope they use elements from" Do Androids Dream Electric Sheep?"

Vader

Wed 29 Sep 2021, 15:27

This will indeed be interesting!

I would anticipate a game more in the style of Väsen than Alien, as the Bladerunner setting really isn't very heavy on combat; more so on investigations obviously; yet more still on various levels of interpersonal interaction, from simple conversation, through complex deception, intimidation, seduction, all the way to convoluted head games ... with a distinctly Noir twist.
Not to forget, the V-K test.

I would however hope to see the game incorporate a fully evolved character development system. No "base building".
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Fragpuss

Wed 06 Oct 2021, 12:32

I think one challenge as a GM might be merging the noir feel with the RPG experience. Most noir thrillers tend have a single protagonist, with a couple of minor characters in supporter (the 'dame in distress' or their secretary or lawyer), which might not gel well with traditional RPGs which tend to be built more around an ensemble cast. So keeping it 'Blade Runner' as opposed to 'CSI: Neo LA' might require parties smaller than the conventional 4-6 player 'death squads'. Maybe that's just my limitations as a GM manifesting. :?

Discuss...

Bengt Petter

Wed 06 Oct 2021, 13:32

As said before, this will be a game with slightly smaller casts and there will be room for playing with just one player + GM. However, I think you can emphasize noir tropes also with a more or less tight unit of Bladerunners. And the femme fatales, a staple of the genre, could come in many shapes and forms (pun intended). They don’t even have to be the villains. I would even make it possible to play as a (replicant?) femme fatale. That could be a really cool scenario premise.

Grimmshade

Sun 10 Oct 2021, 15:47

Late to the party here but I'm also looking very much forward to this game. Another one of the defining movies of my childhood. Free league did such a perfect job with alien that I'm super excited to see what they do with Blade Runner. Also can't wait to see how the noir elements are brought in to the game mechanics. Hopefully also like Alien they use a lot of subject matter outside of just the films, like using things from the novel.