ilgiallomondadori
Topic Author

Starter Set adventures too...simple? Childish?

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 11:29

I absolutely love the quality of everything I've received. It's all gorgeous!! Being new to One Ring, I also really dig the rules, they're excellent.
The adventures in the starter set, though...they're definitely a bit...hmmm...childish? I know they were probably written to evoke the feeling of the early bits of The Hobbit, and The Hobbit in general, but it's definitely really low stakes. Crossing a mildly rushing river in a pastoral farm area, encountering a yapping dog in a museum with zero consequences, etc....
Look, I think they're pretty good, overall, if a bit nonsensical - why does Bilbo want you to steal the map from Michel Delving in secret if he himself donated stuff to the museum, and he only needed a single night to copy the map completely anyway? Couldn't he have just gone there himself, copied the map, and come home?
Anyway, just wanted some thoughts on this. I was going to roll it out to my crew, and they're DEFINITELY not Monty Haul gamers/love a more narrative type adventure - we play lots of CoC and Star Trek Adventures, some Tales from the Loop.
Maybe I'm overthinking, and it'll go fine.

I love the presentation, rules, and the shire book, the writing, etc, though, amazing stuff!
Maybe I just want MORE options/material/books of adventures in addition to this :)

Harlath

Re: Starter Set adventures too...simple? Childish?

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 12:05

I can sympathise there: the Starter Set excellently captures the tone of certain bits of the source material, it's just that those are my least favourite bits of the source material. That stuff isn't the tone I'm after, it is a bit too twee for me.

The Star in the Mist in the Core Rulebook and the upcomings Ruins of the Lost Realm is probably more what we're after: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... ts/3107363. This focuses on various landmarks/schemes. There's some information in the link and o the main Kickstarter page about this product, which went in to layout according to a recent update so it is presumably due fairly soon.

ilgiallomondadori
Topic Author

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 12:18

I can sympathise there: the Starter Set excellently captures the tone of certain bits of the source material, it's just that those are my least favourite bits of the source material. That stuff isn't the tone I'm after, it is a bit too twee for me.

The Star in the Mist in the Core Rulebook and the upcomings Ruins of the Lost Realm is probably more what we're after: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... ts/3107363. This focuses on various landmarks/schemes. There's some information in the link and o the main Kickstarter page about this product, which went in to layout according to a recent update so it is presumably due fairly soon.
Ah, I actually haven't cracked open the Core Rulebook yet; I was hoping there was an adventure in there. I have Ruins of the Lost Realm as part of my purchase, looking forward to it, but wasn't sure it had adventures either, probably just seeds. I guess that's good enough.
I think you're right - the word I was looking for was twee. It's intensely twee. Twee to the nth degree. It absolutely captures the feel of the source accurately for those aspects, but it captures that feel and that one alone, whereas in The Hobbit and LoTR, there's a bit more of a balance.

Harlath

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 12:26

The "landmark sites" you'll see once you've crack open your excellent new core rulebook is one of the new formats for adventures.

It seems like a move towards more of a "prep situations, not plots" type of approach, which I like. Not that plots/schemes are absent according to the product's description, but it seems like this will be more: "Here's a location, its history and inhabitants. Here are there plans and what they'll do if a company doesn't interfere. Here's how they'll respond if a company does interfere", plus a couple of chapters from the description are on broaders plots/plans.

Star in the Mist certainly has what you need for a satisfying adventure with more of the tone you're after. :)

ilgiallomondadori
Topic Author

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 12:31

I wonder if I can spice up the starter adventures a bit and roll it into the Star in the Mist somehow?

Thanks for the help!

Byrax

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 12:49

I thought the starter adventures had in mind to be for the 1e characters children :)

They are good fun for new players though, and I hope for sometimes like Tales from Wilderland next, as a more meatier introduction to the setting.

ilgiallomondadori
Topic Author

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 13:04

I thought the starter adventures had in mind to be for the 1e characters children :)

They are good fun for new players though, and I hope for sometimes like Tales from Wilderland next, as a more meatier introduction to the setting.
Yeah, reading them, they definitely feel oriented towards children. Which is FINE, but I would have appreciated if it was communicated the Starter Set was focused on kids, as I might have just skipped it, or if they had more of a balance where you can bring in more or less to adjust for ages.

I think it's good to have something for kids, but that's really not at all what I thought I was buying.

Niallism

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 14:27

Plenty of adults would enjoy the Starter Set. I would. Depends on the person. Some people don't like to do 'childish' things, some adults enjoy them for what they are - light-hearted, fun, cute, playful.

Different strokes and all that.

Razgon

[Moved] Starter set adventure length/quality

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 15:39

Hi all
I am currently waiting on my long-awaited kickstarter pledge, but was curious if anyone had run the starter set adventure?
It seems...well, kinda weird to me - very low-key, which is cute but not at all what I was expecting from a Lord of the rings adventure.

Has anyone run it, and can comment on how long it took? And how it went?

Thanks!

Moderator Action: Merged two similar threads.

ilgiallomondadori
Topic Author

Re: [Moved] Starter set adventure length/quality

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 17:15

Hi all
I am currently waiting on my long-awaited kickstarter pledge, but was curious if anyone had run the starter set adventure?
It seems...well, kinda weird to me - very low-key, which is cute but not at all what I was expecting from a Lord of the rings adventure.

Has anyone run it, and can comment on how long it took? And how it went?

Thanks!

Moderator Action: Merged two similar threads.
Cute is a good way to put it. Kind of feels like running with adults would be like reading a simple children's book to adults. "Bilbo wanted you go off on an adventure! Ooooh...you got startled by small rats in the basement and now a terrier is barking at you, but he's friendly!" *giggles*

I haven't run it yet myself. Trying to figure out if I will. I think as-is you could burn through it fairly quickly, unless you made modifications. 2-4 per adventure I'd guess. MIGHT be able to get through the first two in one go, maybe not.