thes33
Topic Author

Additional Combat Tasks

Tue 18 Jan 2022, 06:43

I've reworked some of the Combat Tasks from 1e and added one of my own. I like the idea of having more options in combat with a mechanical benefit.

Challenge Adversary (forward)

A hero may choose to single out an engaged foe for the fullness of his ferocity, fighting recklessly in an attempt to bring that enemy down. The acting player must be engaged with an enemy and makes an AWE or BATTLE roll as the main action for the round. On a successful roll, attacks against that foe are favoured until either the hero or the foe is wounded. However, attacks from the foe to the hero are also favoured. If the roll is a great success (1 success die), the enemy also gets -1d on its next attack as the foe tries to meet the challenge. If the roll is an extraordinary success (2+ success die), the hero also gets to make an immediate attack with a +1d bonus.

Two-Weapon Attack (forward)
A hero wielding two weapons may choose to try to make two attacks as both their main and secondary actions. Regardless of the outcome, the hero takes a -2 penalty to their Parry until their next turn. If the first attack is successful, the hero can make a second brawling attack as their secondary action. This can be an Unarmed attack or any brawling weapon. A shield can also be used and counts as a Cudgel for this purpose.

Enhearten Comrades (open)
A hero can attempt reassuring words or a rousing song to arouse their companions when the fight is wearing them out. The acting player can roll an ENHEARTEN or SONG roll as the secondary action for the round. On a successful roll, all allies in forward-stance ignore the weary condition on the next round. If the roll is a great success (1 success die), all allies in the open stance benefit as well. If the roll is an extraordinary success (2+ success die), all allies in any close-combat stance gain the benefit. Cannot be used the same round as Rally Comrades.

Sudden Attack (open)
A hero can attempt to sneak up and surprise an unsuspecting foe. The hero must be unengaged and the targeted foe must be engaged with an ally. The acting player can roll a STEALTH roll as the main action for the round. On a successful roll, the acting player makes an attack with +1d, and an additional +1d for each success die. On a failure, the opportunity for an attack is lost.

Full Defense (defensive)
A hero can attempt to forgo their attacks and concentrate solely on their own self-defense. The acting player can roll a BATTLE or AWARENESS roll as the main action for the round. On a successful roll, the hero gains a +2 Parry bonus until their next turn. The bonus increases by +1 for each additional success die.

Stand Ground (defensive)
A desperate hero can summon their resolve to hold their foes at bay. An acting player can choose to spend 1 Hope as their main and secondary actions for the round. All attacks against that hero are ill-favoured until the heroes’ next turn.

Harry Foe (rearward)

A hero wielding a ranged weapon can choose to hinder their foes and make them easier targets rather than to strike them directly. An acting player can target a single foe that is in forward or open stance and then roll a SCAN or BATTLE roll as the main action. On a successful roll, the next attack against that foe gains +1d, with an additional +1d for each additional success die.

Distracting Shot (rearward)
A hero wielding a ranged weapon may want to distract and disorient a foe at the perfect moment, so that their foe’s attacks fail to land true. An acting player can choose to roll an AWARENESS or BATTLE roll as the main action. On a successful roll, the targeted foe’s next attack receives a -1d penalty, plus an additional -1d for each additional success die.

Dunheved

Re: Additional Combat Tasks

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 01:05

Actually I think I am missing something concerning the Intimidate Foe (Forward Stance) combat task in TOR2e RAW.
Maybe some of you others can read it.

With a single Awe roll, all adversaries of Might 1 are made Weary for one turn.
Rolling a tengwar makes all Might 2 adversaries Weary (for one turn) ALSO.

Go on and read the rest of this combat task.

What possible additional effect is there when you roll more than 1 tengwar? Currently there are only might 1 and might 2 adversaries.
I might post this in the errata thread

Harlath

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 08:08

Intimidate foe has a two success icon result in the rules: affects everyone regardless of might in that case.

That would include Nameless Things with might 3 or yet to be released beasts with high might.

Inculta

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 09:44

I like it!

Dunheved

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 10:12

On the Intimidate Foes thing and the levels of Success.

The rules are quite specific about affecting ALL adversaries with this action. That's quite powerful for a Normal Success. (I think it might be applied to those within hearing!)

Then a Great Success overcomes the will of the very impressive creatures with Might 2. The description of a Great Success is one that achieves all aims and has some wider effect. The rules suggest that a tengwar can change a failure into a success, or affect more creatures, or make things happen quicker, or count as an additional Success. In this case it affects more creatures.

I really do get the point that in future expansions there may well be creatures with Might = 3 or more, but there aren't any now. Even Nameless Things does not explicitly encourage Might = 3+ adversaries.

An Extraordinary Success is described as one that brings about a spectacular result however. Yet it seems that it can only be applied when an absolute Monster of an adversary eventually turns up.
To me it seems very in tune with the rules on degrees of Success that additional Tengwars can be spent on extending the time that the adversaries are counted as Weary OR being used to intimidate the more Mighty foes. If two Tengwars are rolled then both effects can be claimed - meaning that Might 1 and 2 creatures are affected (first tengwar), and then the effect enters a further round (second tengwar).
I guess that is Rules as Interpreted rather than RAW?

stenamma

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 15:49

Thanks for producing these additional Combat Tasks. I find the current Combat Tasks are too few and too limiting, so I'm sure these extra ones will be gladly received by my players

Asrath

Sat 05 Feb 2022, 13:55

CircleOfNoms posted this on Discord, with several suggestions for additional combat tasks, special successes and much more! Great stuff, great guy or girl.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SvUxhv ... sp=sharing

thes33
Topic Author

Sat 12 Feb 2022, 22:06

Thanks for sharing! A great resource indeed.