Franigo

Re: Barrow Wright dreadful spells

Mon 29 Nov 2021, 18:18

Thanks for replies...I'm not sure I'll ever feel comfortable with using sing but maybe I'll feel differently when running it.
In my 1e campaign, Song was widely used and the highest skill of at least one hero. In Middle-earth, songs have real power - the world was literally sung into existence. At least some of the Player-heroes would know about the power of song, from the old tales and, ha, songs.

Otaku-sempai

Mon 29 Nov 2021, 22:25

Luthien used Song to bring down the First Age fortress of Sauron. That is power.
#FideltyToTolkien

Vader

Wed 01 Dec 2021, 19:02

Um … you did read the books, didn't you?

You might then recall that in The Lord of the Rings, people sing All. The. Time! Quite literally.

There are walking songs, there are songs by campfires, there are battle songs, there are songs in halls of lords and heroes. People sing to tell stories, to amuse, to pass the time … people sing when roused, when sad, when happy, when pensive, when drunk, when stone cold sober. And some also sing to cast spells, or to break them.
All in all — people sing!

So, what’s there to feel uncomfortable about? As was said before, that doesn’t make this The Sound of Music. It simply makes this The Lord of the Rings.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Theord

Wed 02 Feb 2022, 13:15

There was a very popular show on TV every sommer-morning when i grow up in sweden and it always started with a song to wake every one up. It goes something like "god morning, godmorning! , let the birds sing gladly godmorning in song (chorus)." in swedish ofcourse... Its natural for every swed to sing this to someone now when waking someone up gently.

Pangea

Thu 03 Feb 2022, 07:15

My question is this do the characters automatically know they must use sing? Or have they got to make a lore or another skill check to know this also how would it present in play?
I directly told the players about having to use Song, without having them make rolls.
My logic was that it is already a powerful move for the enemy (taking a PC out) and that even if they wake them up right away, that is still the singer's action spent/"wasted" on this-- it felt strong enough to me without having people wasting moves shaking the person etc..
But, of course, I am just saying what I did, not advocating for this over having people roll etc..
I narrated it as the person's companions seeing their friend was lost in some sort of fugue state, and needed to be "called" back by loud and uplifting words...
Playing in France, and online

TherorSilverhelm

Thu 03 Feb 2022, 10:55

I directly told the players about having to use Song, without having them make rolls.
My logic was that it is already a powerful move for the enemy (taking a PC out) and that even if they wake them up right away, that is still the singer's action spent/"wasted" on this-- it felt strong enough to me without having people wasting moves shaking the person etc..
But, of course, I am just saying what I did, not advocating for this over having people roll etc..
I narrated it as the person's companions seeing their friend was lost in some sort of fugue state, and needed to be "called" back by loud and uplifting words...
In relation to this, if you didn't want to tell the player's directly about the rules for this. You could always "show" them by having a Loremaster character (Tom Bombadil, one of the Dunedain etc.) accompany them in what would be their first encounter with the Wights, and use a Song to rouse the affected player (or call on one of the player's to do so).