Mordante
Topic Author

[Moved] Using hate/resolve points..

Sun 31 Oct 2021, 21:32

Does anyone use them? I've watched a handful of YouTube videos and no loremaster has ever used them. Speaking for myself I'm yet to run a game but I currently feel they perhaps make npcs to tough , I might be tempted to use them for a "boss" fight.
Last edited by Mordante on Mon 01 Nov 2021, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

Asgo

Re: Using hate/resolve points..

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 00:02

I wouldn't necessarily say using hate/resolve points makes adversaries too tough, or at least not just that.
There are interesting effects to running out of hate for mobs, from specific fell abilities/effects to the generic weary condition.
♦ The Lore master can reduce an adversary’s Hate or
Resolve score to make them gain (1d) on a die roll
during combat (generally, attack or Protection rolls).
♦ Often, an expenditure of Hate or Resolve is required
by several Fell Abilities (see next page).
♦ Finally, if a creature begins a round without Hate or
Resolve points, it is considered Weary.
personally I probably would use the points more for the specific abilities, as they might have more variation than just adding a dice and for some of the mobs it's probably required to get their specific flair mechanically across.

Before I would stop using them because they make single mobs too strong, I probably would reduce the amount of mobs. :)

Inculta

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 01:02

I've run several combats and I've found myself not using Hate/Resolve that much, but the players don't use Hope much either. It kinda feels like a resource people forget about.

Narl

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 01:08

As a Loremaster I use Hate and Resolve constantly and at every nearly opportunity. I also tell the players when I am doing it and share the name of the ability or effect along with describing what happens. Fell Abilities are what make the adversaries interesting.

Rafamir

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 06:29

As a Loremaster I use Hate and Resolve constantly and at every nearly opportunity. I also tell the players when I am doing it and share the name of the ability or effect along with describing what happens. Fell Abilities are what make the adversaries interesting.
This. My last session the party was surprised by a Cave-troll Slinker. They scored a couple of Piercing Blows against it but each time it used Hate to stop them with its Thick Hide, giving it (2d) on its Protection roll. It really gave them the sense of facing something tough, not just with more Endurance to whittle away at.

baldrick0712

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 10:13

I would say it's worth spending the points because the adversary becomes Weary once they are all gone, which will help the players. So, they will get some special fell ability activations but will eventually tire and become easier to defeat.

Mordante
Topic Author

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 11:35

Has anyone considered using a "pool" of hate/resolve points that supply all of the enemies rather than tracking each individuals amount?

I'm not a hundred percent sure how it would work, maybe each npc chips in half their hate/resolve into the pool and maybe each casualty removes half their hate or 2 pts whichevers lower (I'm just spitballing)

What's the opinion on this? Could it be made to work?

Sebastian

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 12:39

Sure I use them, that’s what makes combats of interesting for me as an LM. If it is too much tonkeep track for you, just spend then on additional d6.

Harlath

Mon 01 Nov 2021, 20:31

Hate/Resolve points give you a good dial to adjust to make things easier/harder in some fights.

However, I'd have some caution on playing NPCs at maximum efficiency: this can drag things out or make things very deadly for the PCs.

But some Hate/Resolve spending is good and helps give various adversaries their flavour. Plus it creates fun possibilities like trying to fell an Orc Chieftain before he gives out too much Hate to his minions. Or reducing a Troll's Hate via "Dull-witted". And "Gleam of Wrath" (Elf Virtue) and "Gleam of Terror" (Enchanted Reward) are both cool and have useful mechanical effects. I like the 1e/Alpha Intimidate foe rules as they gave a good way for PCs to interact with Hate/Resolve. Felt mechanically useful and very thematic.

SPOILERS for the STAR OF THE MIST

- The example encounter with Marsh Dwellers is going to be a shadow nightmare for many groups if all of the Marsh Dwellers use "Strike Fear". A Group of 4 PCs (two Marsh Dwellers per PC) is looking at 8x3 = 24 Shadow, and starting PCs are likely to fail c90% of those checks (depending on attributes). Even spending hope, you're looking at c25% of Dread checks succeeding for 6x3 = 18 Shadow, plus however much Shadow comes in via Dread checks you passed (0-2, depending on number of 6s rolled). Very likely to inflict a bout of Madness on most PCs and/or inflict a Shadow Scar. Even without allowing for other potential Shadow from the Adventure?
- Maybe this landmark isn't intended for new Fellowships? Although that seems likely as it is the example landmark

So I'm planning to restrict Strike Fear to one enemy per round (like Rally Comrades) or perhaps once per type of enemy in a combat, unsure yet. Designers may well have a view on how frequently these abilities were intended to be triggered.

mrdabakkle

Tue 02 Nov 2021, 23:50

Personally I say go all out on using hate and resolve. At least at first, especially just to use hate/resolve to add bonus dice. Because otherwise enemies will be missing far too often, and won't feel like a threat at all. If someone goes Forward, spend a die on a adversary attacking that player to get 2 dice to a roll. I think I largely agree though on things like Strike Fear, have one enemy do it that effects everyone. Maybe once a round or once every two rounds. Depending.
The One Ring and Adventure's in Middle-earth Discord Server: https://discord.me/theonering
The One Ring Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/oneringrpg/