Reueld60
Topic Author

Oath of the Riddermark

Mon 18 Oct 2021, 11:35

Hello!

I’m preparing the Oath of Riddermark.
About the rumours about Dunlendings eating horses and then a trip to investigate there, It felt weird to me that the location is beside the white mountains as a band of Dunlendings are seeking for a creature that committed crimes on their lands. They seem both far from the land of Dun when I look on the map.
Would it be more suitable to have the location south the misty mountains? Closer to Dun. Therefore more logical that Dunlendings went through mountains. Even for the creature.
And because, Dunlending and creature crossing the gap of Rohan would have been spot too.

If I can have your opinion?

Forth Eorlingas!
Charles

Dunheved

Re: Oath of the Riddermark

Thu 28 Oct 2021, 09:19

I think Dunlanders live further south than just the territory marked as Dunland. Originally, they "occupied" a large quantity of the mainly empty region called Calenhadron*. This was gifted to Eorl after the Battle of Gladden Fields and the Rohirrim moved in - displacing the Dunland folk. After that it was called Rohan of course.

I suspect that Dunland on the map is that part of their homeland that the Rohirrim never moved into.
This would mirror the many occasions witnessed in Europe when a change of empire, king or religion, left a community with cultural connections to somewhere else other than the new rulers. Sadly, such occasions too frequently leave brooding resentment, leading to entrenched prejudice. Maybe Prof Tolkien was capable of reflecting more of our world in his than it appears....

* (my spelling not exact! I may edit later)

rostranor

Tue 02 Nov 2021, 20:05

As an interesting note to tell a different perspective on the Dunmen...The dwarves of Erebor lived among them for awhile before moving to the Blue Mountains. I've wondered about the effects of that relationship and what impact it would have had. Better weapons probably for one....

Otaku-sempai

Tue 02 Nov 2021, 21:11

I think Dunlanders live further south than just the territory marked as Dunland. Originally, they "occupied" a large quantity of the mainly empty region called Calenhadron*. This was gifted to Eorl after the Battle of Gladden Fields and the Rohirrim moved in - displacing the Dunland folk. After that it was called Rohan of course.

I suspect that Dunland on the map is that part of their homeland that the Rohirrim never moved into.
This would mirror the many occasions witnessed in Europe when a change of empire, king or religion, left a community with cultural connections to somewhere else other than the new rulers. Sadly, such occasions too frequently leave brooding resentment, leading to entrenched prejudice. Maybe Prof Tolkien was capable of reflecting more of our world in his than it appears....

* (my spelling not exact! I may edit later)
The Dunlendings did not live much south of the region marked as Dunland because they avoided the Drúedain who dwelt on the Cape of Andrast and the White Mountains near the cape (See Tolkien's Unfinished Tales).
#FideltyToTolkien

Reueld60
Topic Author

Mon 08 Nov 2021, 20:26

Thanks to all for your answers!

I made it as an exceptional event that Dunlendings are in the white mountains and make a mystery about how a troll went from dunland to the white mountains…. :)