Praetorian_1974
Topic Author

Where do the pregens get Equipment from?

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 22:11

So we are playing a dry run, open book of the starter set with all books etc open to all players (as we are looking to run multiple runs of the same adventure at the same time for a charity night) and we have just got the the river for the first part of the adventure, and no one can cross the river. there is a suggestion of finding a log on the opposite bank (pg 7) and getting it could be achieved by shooting a rope arrow and pulling it across, but none of the characters have any equipment. especially not a bow, which might look a tad suspicious walking through the town on the way to bag End armed to the teeth.

so question - where do the characters get equipment from? does bilbo have an armoury filled with weapons and other adventuring kit on the offchance and allows the players free reign? do they find a bow lying around? goblin patrol (after all i assume this is about the time Gollum is being tortured)

Sebastian

Re: Where do the pregens get Equipment from?

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 07:07

To be honest, I don’t know why a group of Hobbits should carry weapons in the middle of the Shire at all. Even hunting equipment seems unlikely, since they are traveling only a short distance. Bilbo certainly hasn’t got any weapons around in Bagend.

Generally Player Heroes have weapons in which they have an proficiency. Other equipment ad it fits.

Praetorian_1974
Topic Author

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 12:59

I agree, the populace of hobbiton and those around bag end would probably be really suspicious of a group of hobbits armed to the teeth.

The point I am trying to make is in the starter set there is a bit of a challenge getting your group across the river with no equipment especially as the hobbits are decidedly unathletic :D especially when they all fail their athletics rolls :P

gull2112

Wed 13 Oct 2021, 17:17

I give my PH's narrative agency, which means that one of them could say, "I find a local farmer and ask to borrow his rowboat."

As the LM, I can either make THAT a dice roll situation, or in the interest of moving the story along, simply compliment him on "solving" the problem, and continue on. Once players get used to "narrative solutions" they can get quite creative and colorful with it.

Praetorian_1974
Topic Author

Sun 17 Oct 2021, 16:51

I give my PH's narrative agency, which means that one of them could say, "I find a local farmer and ask to borrow his rowboat."

As the LM, I can either make THAT a dice roll situation, or in the interest of moving the story along, simply compliment him on "solving" the problem, and continue on. Once players get used to "narrative solutions" they can get quite creative and colorful with it.
brilliant idea. thanks for the assist. I was a bit stumped when we played, especially when the book says "they could shoot an arrow with a rope tied on, at a large log and pull it from the other bank" the challenge here being (a) what bow & arrow and (b) what rope? :d

Otaku-sempai

Sun 17 Oct 2021, 23:09

brilliant idea. thanks for the assist. I was a bit stumped when we played, especially when the book says "they could shoot an arrow with a rope tied on, at a large log and pull it from the other bank" the challenge here being (a) what bow & arrow and (b) what rope? :d
That's especially problematic if we consider that (outside of movies and comic books) that trick with the rope and arrow would never work. The weight of the rope would put too much drag on the arrow, especially when the line inevitably tangles (okay, maybe an elven rope wouldn't tangle!). And what hobbit is going to have something like a Great Bow with a 120-pound draw or greater?
#FideltyToTolkien