Inculta
Topic Author

Homebrew NPCs and Monsters

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 05:01

Figured there should be a thread for LMs to share NPCs they've made.

First one is an Orc Berserker of Gundabad intended to be a sort of "miniboss" fight for experienced characters, probably attacking in numbers, or even a boss fight for newer ones. Balanced it around the Orc Chieftain and Great Orcs in the book and gave it some custom Fell Abilities.

Orc Berserker
Strong, Ferocious
Few Orcs conquer the fighting pits of Mount Gundabad, but those that do become some of the most savage warriors of all their Northern kin.
Might 2
Attribute Level - 6
Endurance - 18
Hate - 8
Parry - 2
Combat Proficiencies - Orc Darts (3/16, Thrown, Pierce), Orc Falchion 3 (4/16) and Claw Shield (+2 Parry) or Orc Cleaver 3 (6/18, two-handed, Break Shield)
Protection - Bolted Leather (2d)
Fell Abilities:
  • Hate Sunlight: This creature loses 1 Hate at the start of each round it is exposed to the full light of the sun.
    Bloodlust: Each successful attack made by or against this creature restores 1 Hate.
    Berserk: May spend 1 Hate to ignore the Weary condition this round. Additionally, this creature will never willingly flee or disengage and is unaffected by the Intimidate Foe task unless a Magical Success is obtained.
    Relentless: If an attack reduces this creature to zero Endurance, it causes a Piercing Blow. Then, if still alive, it gains 1 Endurance point.
    Onslaught: May Spend 1 Hate to gain (2d) and make both attack rolls Favoured. All attacks made against this creature gain (1d) this round.
Last edited by Inculta on Mon 18 Oct 2021, 00:29, edited 14 times in total.

Mordante

Re: Homebrew NPCs and Monsters

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 07:56

Nice to see some extra NPC stats as the game is grossly underprovided for when it comes to adversaries.

Inculta
Topic Author

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 11:00

Nice to see some extra NPC stats as the game is grossly underprovided for when it comes to adversaries.
They'll probably come out with way more down the line. Plus converting from 1e's easy.

Mountain Orc
Strong, Rebellious
Not as large as a Great Orc but stronger than their lesser kin, these exceptionally tough Orcs of the Misty Mountains are a rare sight, accompanying large raiding parties or warbands to plunder the lowlands.
Might 1
Attribute Level - 4
Endurance - 18
Hate - 4
Parry - 1
Combat Proficiencies - Orc Falchion 3 (4/16) and Claw Shield (+2 Parry), or Orc Cleaver 3 (6/18, two-handed, Break Shield), or Orc Broadspear 3 (5/16, Pierce)
Protection - Varies (usually 2d)
Fell Abilities:
  • Hates Sunlight: This creature loses 1 Hate at the start of each round it is exposed to the full light of the sun.
Mountain Orc Hunter
Cunning, Wary
As tribes of Orcs and Goblins expand across the mountains, their demand for fresh meat grows - as it does for keen-eyed hunters.
Might 1
Attribute Level - 4
Endurance - 16
Hate - 4
Parry - 1
Combat Proficiencies - Orc Scimitar 3 (3/16), Orc Hornbow 3 (4/16, Pierce)
Protection - Leather (1d)
Fell Abilities:
  • Hates Sunlight: This creature loses 1 Hate at the start of each round it is exposed to the full light of the sun.
    Keen-eyed: May perform the Prepared Shot Combat Task (Scan rank of 2, TN 16.)
    Barbed Arrows: If the creature scored a Piercing Blow with a ranged attack, spend 1 Hate to make the target's Protection role Ill-favoured.
Uruk of Mordor
Strong, Disciplined
A new breed of Orc, Uruks are a strong and disciplined lot, often acting as taskmasters over other Orcs and bodyguards to the Shadow's lieutenants.
Might 1
Attribute Level - 5
Endurance - 18
Hate - 5
Parry - 2
Combat Proficiencies - Uruk Falchion 3 (4/16) and Buckler (+1 Parry), or Orc Cleaver 3 (6/18, two-handed, Break Shield), or Uruk Battleaxe 3 (7/20, two-handed, Break Shield), or Iron Spear 3 (4/16, Pierce) and Shield (+2 Parry)
Protection - Leather-and-mail (3d)
Fell Abilities:
  • Resistant: Uruks are unaffected by direct sunlight.
    Crack the Whip: Spend 1 Hate to restore 1 Hate to all other Orcs (not Uruks) in the fight.
Great Uruk of Mordor
Strong, Brutish
Dwarfing their kin, these Uruks often command Mordor's innumerable regiments, leading from the front where the slaughter is greatest.
Might 2
Attribute Level - 6
Endurance - 24
Hate - 6
Parry - 2
Combat Proficiencies - Uruk Falchion 3 (4/16) and Shield (+2 Parry), or Orc Cleaver 3 (6/18, two-handed, Break Shield), or Uruk Battleaxe 3 (7/20, two-handed, Break Shield)
Protection - Leather-and-mail (3d)
Fell Abilities:
    Lash the Whip: Spend 1 Hate to restore 1 Hate to all other Orcs and Uruks in the fight.
    Thick Hide: Spend 1 Hate to gain 2d on a Protection roll.
    Hideous Toughness: If an attack reduces this creature to zero Endurance, it causes a Piercing Blow. Then, if still alive, it returns to full Endurance.
Black Uruk of Barad-dûr
Grim, Fell, Wicked
A crimson glow in their eyes and spine-chilling bellow to their voices suggest more than natural Orcish malevolence invigorates these horrific creatures.
Might - 2
Endurance - 42
Hate - 8
Attribute Level - 7
Parry - 3
Combat Proficiencies - Mordor Warsword 4 (5/17) and Reinforced Shield (+3 Parry), or Uruk Battleaxe 4 (7/20, two-handed, Break Shield), or Uruk Voulge 4 (7/18, two-handed, Pierce)
Protection - Heavy Mail (4d)
Fell Abilities:
    Shadow-malice: Black Uruks have Hatred for Men, Elves, and Dwarves.
    Will of Lugburz: This creature is not affected by the Intimidate Foe task, even if a Magical success is obtained.
    Bellow of Triumph: Spend 2 Hate to restore 2 Hate to all other allies in the fight.
    Horrible Strength: If this creature scored a Piercing Blow with a melee attack, spend 1 Hate to make the target’s Protection roll Ill-favoured.
    Dreadful Roar: Spend 1 Hate to make all Player-heroes in earshot gain 2 Shadow points (Dread). Those who fail are stricken with unease, and cannot spend Hope until the end of the next round.
    Hideous Toughness: If an attack reduces this creature to zero Endurance, it causes a Piercing Blow. Then, if still alive, it returns to full Endurance.
Last edited by Inculta on Mon 18 Oct 2021, 00:40, edited 29 times in total.

Inculta
Topic Author

Tue 12 Oct 2021, 11:17

Not sure if this would be overpowered, but if your Company walks into Mordor, I guess that's the point.

Olog-hai
Ferocious, Wicked, Cunning
Among the most dreaded of all the Shadow's servants, these vile Trolls are deceptively cunning and intelligent, boundless in devotion to the Dark Lord and in savage hatred for his enemies.
Might 3
Attribute Level - 12
Endurance - 100
Hate - 12
Parry - 1
Combat Proficiencies - Troll-sabre 3 (7/20) and Troll-shield (+2 Parry), or Great Hammer 3 (10/20, two-handed, Break Shield)
Protection - Iron Plating (4d)
Fell Abilities:
  • Shadow-malice: Olog-hai have Hatred for Men, Elves, and Dwarves.
    Will of Lugburz: This creature is not affected by the Intimidate Foe task, even if a Magical success is obtained.
    The Eye Watches: Olog-hai do not have the Dull-Witted Fell Ability and are unaffected by the Weary condition.
    Horrible Strength: If this creature scored a Piercing Blow with a melee attack, spend 1 Hate to make the target’s Protection roll Ill-favoured.
    Bellow of Triumph: Spend 2 Hate to restore 2 Hate to all other allies in the fight.
    Strike Fear. Spend 1 Hate to make all Player-heroes in sight gain 3 Shadow points (Dread). Those who fail their Shadow test are daunted and cannot spend Hope for the rest of the fight.
    Like Hot Iron: Spend 1 Tengwar (Success level) on a successful attack to make the target perform an Athletics skill test; on a failure, they are knocked back and must spend their next main action recovering their position.
Last edited by Inculta on Mon 18 Oct 2021, 00:39, edited 5 times in total.

Aiden Harrison

Sun 17 Oct 2021, 15:55

I'm also working on some new NPCs (actually converting and rebalancing my ones from 1e). Strangely I came up with an ability called Resilient Hide for a Cave Troll Runt which was exactly the same as your Hardy for your Uruks - Then this morning I realised that all adversaries have that ability inbuilt. All adversaries cane spend a point of Hate to add 1d to their protection.

Overall on first impressions your NPCs seem a tad overpowered, I would suggest stripping back a few abilities maybe.

From a Lore point of view: Is there such a thing as a Mountain Uruk? Or do you mean Uruks sent from Mordor to lead the Mountain Orcs?

I'll come back with some more feedback once I've had a think.

Aiden Harrison

Sun 17 Oct 2021, 17:01

Okay I've had a think :D

I decided to give feedback on the Fell Abilities rather than the Adversaries themselves. I prefer to construct my monsters by having a solid list of Fell Abilities which can be added/subtracted/swapped.

Bloodlust: Each successful attack made by or against this creature restores 1 Hate.

(Like this one, pretty powerful but makes a nice Boss ability)

Berserk: May spend 1 Hate to ignore the Weary condition this round. This creature will never willingly flee or disengage unless ordered by its master, and is unaffected by the Intimidate Foe task unless a Magical success is obtained.
Relentless: When an attack reduces this creature to 0 Endurance, it triggers a Piercing Blow. Then, if alive, it regains 1 Endurance.

(I think these two could be combined into one Ability. Something like:)

Berserk Fury: May spend 1 Hate per round to continue fighting even if Wounded or reduced to 0 Endurance as long as he has Hate to spend. In addition this creature will never willingly flee or disengage and is unaffected by the Intimidate Foe task unless a Magical Success is obtained.

Onslaught: May spend 7 Hate to strike first this close-quarters combat round, unless Ambushed. Additionally, all attacks made by or against this creature have 1d bonus Success die this round, and its first attack roll is Favoured.

(Don’t really like this one. Did you mean 7 Hate?
I’d perhaps change it to:)

Onslaught: May Spend 1 Hate to gain (2d) and make the attack roll Favoured. All attacks made against this creature gain (1d).

(A more powerful version of Fierce Folk, with a trade off)

Keen-eyed: May perform the Prepared Shot Combat Task (Scan rank of 2, TN 16.)

(I’m not keen - no pun intended - on this one: More dice rolling for the LM, Just change it to.)

Keen-eyed: Spend 1 Hate to gain (1d) on their ranged attack rolls.

Barbed Arrows: If the creature scored a Piercing Blow with a ranged attack, spend 1 Hate to make the target's Protection role Ill-favoured.

(This is a renaming of Sure Shot, I like the idea of Barbed Arrows though, maybe a ranged only version of Deadly Wound would fit better.)

Crack the Whip: Spend 1 Hate to restore 1 Hate to all other Orcs (not Uruks) in the fight.

(I like this one, nice alternative to Yell of Triumph.

Shadow-malice: Black Uruks have Hatred for Men, Elves, and Dwarves.

(I like this one, was unsure at first (seems powerful for rank and file adversaries) But actually makes a good distinction for Uruks over orcs.)

On the subject of Uruks, they need an ability to cancel/modify the all orcs hate sunlight. Still thinking on that one.

(I like this one).

Dreadful Roar: Spend 1 Hate to make all Player-heroes in earshot gain 2 Shadow points (Dread). Those who fail are stricken with unease, and cannot spend Hope until the end of the next round.

(I like this one. nice lesser version of Strike Fear.)

(Think I’d change that to only if a Magical success is obtained.)

The Eye Watches: Olog-hai do not have the Dull-Witted Fell Ability and are unaffected by the Weary condition. Each successful attack made by this creature restores 1 Hate to all allies in sight. If this creature dies, all allies in sight lose (d6) Hate.

(Nice, this one is very thematic. I would consider breaking it into two though. First part for all Olog-hai and the second part as a new trait for some kind of Olog Warlord.)

Overall good stuff, nice to see someone else making new Adversaries. I'm still working on my stuff - lots to do.

Inculta
Topic Author

Sun 17 Oct 2021, 22:33

Appreciate the feedback! I'm still getting more familiar with the system, so I'll definitely be retooling these guys in the future if/when they come up in my games. Good advice too, I especially like the idea of merging those first two together and spending Hate to keep fighting instead, though I'd condition to "Unless Wounded twice."

As far as "Mountain Uruks" go, that's more of a flavor name as opposed to true Uruks made by Sauron and Saruman. My idea is that there's mentions of very big Orcs nearly the size of Men in the Misty Mountains, and while they aren't technically Uruks or Uruk-hai, I imagine that they'd be categorized as such by Free Folk who encounter them. Great Orcs I imagine are even bigger, like Great Goblin-sized and even bigger than Men or Uruks alike. Could just rename it to Mountain Orc though.

With the Keen-eyed trait, only thing is enemies can already spend Hate/Resolve to get attack bonuses like players, so a fell ability wouldn't be necessary.

Shadow-malice is one that I was worried could seem overpowered, but my thinking there is that Tolkien describes Black Uruks and Olog-hai as being exceptionally vicious and imbued with a portion of Sauron's own power, so the idea is they're unnaturally aggressive even by Orc/Troll standards since they're driven by magic. That's also why I figured Will of Lugburz should negate even Magical successes, because a fragment of Sauron's own will is driving them and they'd be all but impossible to intimidate.

I also didn't realize every Adversary already could spend points to gain a 1d Protection bonus. Not sure how I'd go about balancing that then. Maybe spend a Hate to make their roll Favoured? Or turn it into Thick Hide?

gull2112

Sun 17 Oct 2021, 22:51

I created a Nameless Horror with the index in the back of the 2E appendix. This is a kin of Shelob named Shenrex that is somewhere in Northwestern Mirkwood. Her big thing is webs. Her spawn are called Weblings, and while their individual attacks aren't much, they can spend a point of Hatred to cast a web. The target must pass an awareness test or be immobilized in the web. Once immobilized they are attacked by Weblings with beak attacks until they can free themselves. After creating Shenrex, I had no idea how the party could even begin to combat her, so I created a Magic item that would be very difficult to get, but would give them a chance.
The Everburning Torch of Telros
If Valor is gained while Spending a Fellowship phase with the wood-elves Thranduil will gift this treasure. If it is returned after destroying Shenrex, the party will gain Friendship with the wood elves, (the next Yule spent with the Wood Elves will allow them to gain the Virtue Against the Unseen. Pg.84)
The torch burns with a flame that gives off heat and light. If used to light other torches or brands, they will burn for a day. If used on a Foe that fears fire, the Torch will attack as 5 damage, 20 injury, load 1, Brawling.

Shenrex sister of Shelob Attribute Level
Endurance Might Hate Parry Armor
128 2 6 +1 6d
Combat Proficiences: Beak 4(3,14 pierce) Crush 3(4,16)
Fell Abilities: Poison (grievous, victim falls asleep, cured by Song roll -2d)
FEAR: Spend 1 Hate to make all gain shadow dread, no Hope if failed
Webs: Spend Hatred to shoot webs
PH's failing Awareness test are webbed and immobile. Must hit with Brawl to escape.

Webling Attribute Level
Endurance Might Hate Parry Armor
12 1 4 1 1
Combat Proficiences: Beak 2(2, 12) Beak 3(4, 14) vs. immobile
Spend 1 Hate to shoot web, Awareness to dodge, fail = immobile until hit with brawl.
Craven Flee if Hate = 0

Whenever Shenrex is encountered She will be accompanied by Numerous Weblings.
Whenever attacked by spiders while in Mirkwood, it will be Numerous Weblings.
Numerous Weblings will cast one web per character but will shy from characters with an aggressively presented torch. Hitting a webling with a torch will cause it to flee. Once a number of Weblings equal to twice the party # flee, all will flee. There will always be enough weblings to issue one web attack per character per round, and an immobilized character will be swarmed by three weblings at all times.

Aiden Harrison

Sun 17 Oct 2021, 23:59

Doh! I pointed out the problem with all adversaries being able to already spend 1 hate to gain 1d on protection.

Then went and suggested a change to Keen-eyed that was a thing all adversaries can already do.

Feeling compelled to redeem myself.

How about:

Deadly Aim: Spend 1 Hate to gain (2d) on their ranged attack rolls.

You could have a close combat version as well.

Lethal Strike: Spend 1 Hate to gain (2d) on their close combat attack rolls.

They would be nice alternatives to Fierce Folk which is already an improved version of the default spend 1 Hate to gain 1d that all adversaries get (they get to count it as favoured as well).

Otaku-sempai

Mon 18 Oct 2021, 00:29

Here are a few NPCs from my previous home-brewed guides to the Gulf of Lune and the Blue Mountains, updated for TOR 2e:

Galdor, Messenger of Círdan
Galdor is the trusted messenger and envoy of Lord Círdan. A High Elf, he is often away from the Havens on his lord's business and is frequently seen at Rivendell. Galdor's manner can be a bit formal at times; however, he is very good at reading people and their moods and he can adjust his approach as needed.

NAME: Galdor
DISTINCTIVE FEATURES: Lordly, Patient, Tall

Hadorion
The Elf-lord Hadorion commands the lighthouse-citadel of Barad Lindon (which I originally named Barad Mithlond) that guards the Gulf of Lune against attack from the sea. Born in the Second Age, he marched with Gil-galad and Círdan in the Last Alliance of Elves and Men. He is also a skilled mariner. Hadorion's demeanor is lordly and proud; he is hard to impress. His brother Thandorion is the harbormaster of Harlond in Harlindon.

NAME: Hadorion
DISTINCTIVE FEATURES: Honourable, Lordly, Proud

Thandorion
The Elf-lord Thandorion is the harbormaster of Harlond and commander of the fortress of Amon Harlond. He was born in Lindon in the days of Gil-galad and is one of Lord Círdan's most trusted captains. When Círdan went to war as part of the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, it was Thandorion who was trusted with the stewardship of Harlindon and the Grey Havens until the Elf-lord's return. Thandorion is also an accomplished shipwright and engineer, as well as brother to Hadorion, the commander of Barad Lindon at the northern point of the Gulf of Lune. He is friendly towards the Dúnedain of the North but his attitude towards lesser Men is less favorable, as are his feelings towards Dwarves. Thandorion looks upon Hobbits with amused tolerance.

NAME: Thandorion
DISTINCTIVE FEATURES: Honourable, Subtle, Wary

Dís daughter of Thráin
Dís is the only daughter of Thráin II. She is the sister of the late Thorin Oakenshield and their brother Frerin, who perished in the Battle of Azanulbizar, and mother to the brothers Fili and Kili, both of whom died defending Thorin in the Battle of Five Armies. Lady Dís joined the rest of her folk in returning to the Lonely Mountain after it was reclaimed from the dragon Smaug. However, after a period of mourning for her sons and brother Thorin, she found that she could not remain there; the memories associated with Erebor were far too painful for her. Dís was only ten years old when Smaug claimed the Mountain. Many of her friends and their families were killed by the dragon and devoured. Her younger brother Frerin was slain years later by Orcs in the Battle of Azanulbizar. Most of her happy memories were of the Blue Mountains, where she grew to womanhood in the Halls of Thorin, met her husband-to-be, wed and bore two strong sons.

In T.A. 2944 Dís returned to the Blue Mountains and became the Lady of the Halls of Thorin. She acts as the Mistress of the Halls, ensuring that they are well maintained and that chambers are kept ready for envoys from Erebor, the Iron Hills and the other Dwarf-kingdoms and for special guests. She is educated and wise, and can also be stubborn and opinionated. She is also far too old to be bothered with customs she considers to be outdated nonsense. While Lady Dís carries an air of grace and dignity, she also defies the dwarven convention of 'dressing down' in the manner of a male for outsiders and when in public. Dís is typically garbed in hooded, white dwarven mourning robes, elegant and tasteful. While many conservative Dwarves are scandalized by this, she has accumulated a following among the younger set, especially with Dwarf-women who are themselves widowed or have determined never to marry.

NAME: Dís
DISTINCTIVE FEATURES: Bold, Cunning, Lordly

Draupnir, Lord of Hargrod
Draupnir son of Dolgthrasir, also called Draupnir Forkbeard, is the current Lord of the Dwarf-city of Hargrod. He is the grandson of the previous Lord, Baugi son of Brokkir, who against all odds sired three children--all daughters. Dolgthrasir is descended from the Dwarf-city of Nogrod. It is rumoured that Dolgthrasir is heir to the throne of Nogrod; however, any records that would prove his claim are either destroyed or lost. He won renown in the War of the Dwarves and Orcs, returning to Hargrod to successfully court Baugi’s eldest daughter. However, when it came time for Lord Baugi to declare an heir he chose his grandson over his son-in-law or one of his nephews, a move that disconcerted many of his folk.

Lord Draupnir sees himself as a wise ruler; however, he recalls with bitterness the tales of the treatment his folk received long ago at the hands of the Elf-king Thingol. Draupnir and his closest advisors are distrustful of all Elves. He also worries about the security of his realm and might be susceptible to overtures from agents of the Enemy if he feels that they might strengthen his position.

NAME: Draupnir
DISTINCTIVE FEATURES: Proud, Stern, Wary
#FideltyToTolkien