Narl
Topic Author

PDF of Hex Map

Tue 05 Oct 2021, 06:54

This question is really for Fria Ligan or anyone on the TOR development team. Will the hex map from the back of the book be made available as a PDF?

As beautiful as the other maps are, the Journey hex map is really the most useful and the one I want to print out large and have on the table during games. It would really be useful if this map was made available as a single PDF suitable for printing in a large format.

Mordante

Re: PDF of Hex Map

Tue 05 Oct 2021, 11:29

I'd be very happy if we were able to buy a copy produced by Free League and also I would love a pdf/print of the players map with hexes.

HunterGreen

Fri 05 Nov 2021, 17:07

I hope we get one in a much higher resolution than what we get in the core PDF. But until then, you can extract those two pages from the PDF (if you don't have Acrobat Pro, one cheap way is to open it in Chrome, then print, select those two pages, and Save as PDF), then you can use free GIMP to open those two pages as images and stitch them together. I've done this, and would be happy to share it, except I don't know if it's okay to do so -- if someone from FL says I am allowed to, I will link it here. Until then, you can always do the scutwork yourself. But the result isn't high enough resolution to print at a large scale, I'm afraid, so the best solution is if they give us a good quality separate PDF or image file, as the OP requested.
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

Niallism

Tue 09 Nov 2021, 05:31

Isn't the one at the back just for the LM to use, not show to players?

Narl
Topic Author

Tue 09 Nov 2021, 08:02

Isn't the one at the back just for the LM to use, not show to players?
That is the intent, but the only information on it that is not on the front map are the Perilous Areas and Region types. Both of these are pretty obvious anyway so I don't think they are really secret information. Having run a good number of Journeys at this point, I think it will be easier to just put the hex map out and let the players track and mark their progress.

Even if I was not to reveal the hex map, it would be nice to be able to print out a larger version of it from a single file.

baldrick0712

Tue 09 Nov 2021, 20:07

I think the hexless "Players' Map" at the front of the book represents an actual map the player-heroes might have in their possession. That's why it has no hexes; so it looks like a handout rather than a game aid. The players indicate on this their proposed route, and this is converted to a path of hexes on the "Journey Log" by the LM, from the hex map at the back. The players are encouraged to write on the hexless map places they've visited etc. I'm obviously hoping both will be separate printed maps.

[EDIT]

They are respectively referred to as "front end papers" and "back end papers" so doesn't that imply they are actual pull-out maps placed in the front and back of the book? The original TOR "Slip Case" edition had separate player and GM maps in the slip case.

Narl
Topic Author

Tue 09 Nov 2021, 22:55

I've found the Journey Log to be sort of useful, aside from the hex section where the players are supposed to map things out. At that point they are just recreating the hex map at the back of the book, and I as LM would have to call out what each and every hex is and wait for the player to draw them out. Or just draw out the hexes myself, which means I am just copying the map. It all would be pretty tedious and slow.

Right now I have the hex map in printed sheet protectors and use wet erase markers to track the path. I would rather just laminate the hex map and put it on the table to let the players map their progress. I think they would enjoy that more and it would be more engaging and participatory as well. Once we have a big PDF of the map I look forward to trying it out and seeing what my players think.

As a side note, everyone is really enjoying the Journey system. It is a nice balance between the common "you travel for a week and arrive at the tower" and the detailed hex-by-hex of Forbidden Lands.

baldrick0712

Wed 10 Nov 2021, 14:29

Or just draw out the hexes myself, which means I am just copying the map. It all would be pretty tedious and slow.
That was the idea I think. LM transfers info to the journey log once players have told them their proposed route.

Byrax

Sun 21 Nov 2021, 10:04

I assume the guide use a marker on a clear plastic sheet to draw the route on, and then the LM just use that on his map as well?

Galahad64

Thu 04 Jan 2024, 04:20

Has anyone had to handle the Journey Phase on a Virtual Tabletop?