Nicolas Michon
Topic Author

"Brawl" as a full combat proficiency?

Fri 21 Jan 2022, 18:45

Hello,

I am, like all of us, really looking forward to getting my physical copy. As I go through the core rulebook, one thing that strikes me is that Brawling (which includes daggers, knives, broken crockery, thrown stones ....) is not a Weapons Proficiency and thus is "rated" based on the highest weapon proficiency the character has. This strikes me as odd and a bit of an issue for either Hobbits (who may need to carry daggers) or more urban PCs / NPCs - not to mention the fact that wrestling (a form of Brawling) is a noble sport in some cultures here .... and could easily be in some of the Middle Earth ones. What do you all think about making it a separate Weapons Proficiency, while keeping the rule as written for characters who don't have it?

Harlath

Re: "Brawl" as a full combat proficiency?

Fri 21 Jan 2022, 20:11

It is a really easy house rule that may be a great fit for some characters. :)

Sebastian

Re: "Brawl" as a full combat proficiency?

Fri 21 Jan 2022, 22:08

The rule is written with Tolkien’s Middle-earth in mind. Heroes carry mighty weapons. If they lose them or they break, it’s fate, often they fall. Personally I like the idea, that Brawling is dependent on your general ability to fight, i.e. your best weapon ability -1.

That being said, I wouldn’t punish a player, who wants to play a brawling character. Just treat it as a separat skill, that’s it.