DanielR
Topic Author

Default starting position for the swedish campaign?

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 13:42

Question: In the default setting for Sweden, it says that the characters start in Arboga on pg 31 after fleeing from the battle. But Arboga is straight east of Örebro, where the battle took place, and it says that the characters advanced from the south west and never made it to Örebro before battle commenced and then fled south in the flavor text on pg 30. I would have suspected that they ended up somewhere south of Hallsberg instead, so is Arboga a missprint?
www.spelkult.se - Vi levlar upp spelkulturen!

Fenhorn

Re: Default starting position for the swedish campaign?

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 14:11

Good question. My take on this is since the plan was to advance further east towards Södertälje, the players might be east of where the battle took place (Örebro), placing them behind enemy lines making the trip back towards Alingsås difficult.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

DanielR
Topic Author

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 16:57

Good question. My take on this is since the plan was to advance further east towards Södertälje, the players might be east of where the battle took place (Örebro), placing them behind enemy lines making the trip back towards Alingsås difficult.
Aha, so the plan is actually to have them cut off from their escape rout west? That would make sense.
Too bad the intro text said south, because that is what I had recorded for the player briefing. Will have to excuse it with some error in their initial navigation then.

DanielR
Topic Author

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 17:03

Foolish of me to have recorded it before I got to question the text about starting location :S
The intro blurb states the battle took place outside [Örebro] "Hell, you only ever saw the town through your binoculars" indicating that they never even got to Örebro. Never the less east of the town.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs7EsxRwMnM

Fenhorn

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 17:11

Aha, so the plan is actually to have them cut off from their escape rout west? That would make sense.
Too bad the intro text said south, because that is what I had recorded for the player briefing. Will have to excuse it with some error in their initial navigation then.
The handout say that the plan is to escape west towards Alingsås.

The whole idea is to have the players behind the enemy lines one way or the other. On the Poland map, the only way to go is south but the players (in the handout) think that west is the way to go but the players don't know that there are soviet forces north and west of them. On the Swedish map, the players wants to go back west as well but also on this map they will face soviets there. South is probably easier on this map as well.

edit: It is a little bit confusing that they mentioned both towns and both towns could be the planned starting town. It doesn't matter much. There are soviet forces everywhere except south, regardless. Perhaps Tomas will answer this one day.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Vader

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 17:41

If I recall the terrain around Örebro correctly, you really only stand a chance of seeing Örebro through binoculars from the south, along the line of the E20. Other directions are pretty much blocked by forest ... unless you climb a very tall tree.

The handout say that the plan is to escape west towards Alingsås.

If you start at Örebro, you'd probably want to head more south than west to get to Alingsås. Heading towards Karlskoga won't really help you a lot. It's if you start at Arboga you don't have any option but to head west until you reach Örebro and are able to turn south.

That way, both can be true, if you start at Alingsås: even if your larger plan is to head south, Hjälmaren will force you to go west. Unless you swim.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Oddball_E8

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 08:29

Foolish of me to have recorded it before I got to question the text about starting location :S
The intro blurb states the battle took place outside [Örebro] "Hell, you only ever saw the town through your binoculars" indicating that they never even got to Örebro. Never the less east of the town.
Really cool video, but as I was watching it I thought to myself that my players would never in a million years keep up with the rapid text changes on the screen.

I'd have to slow that down a lot if I wanted to use something like that.

DanielR
Topic Author

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 11:46

Really cool video, but as I was watching it I thought to myself that my players would never in a million years keep up with the rapid text changes on the screen.

I'd have to slow that down a lot if I wanted to use something like that.
Yeah, I agree. The text screens was an after thought. I just wanted a backdrop to the monologue and I am debating wether to cut down the text even further or add longer pauses.

I have already given my players a written and translated text about the history, through the pov of the characters, so the text plates in video would serve more as a reminder and countdown towards 2000.

DanielR
Topic Author

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 18:13

Made some tweaks to the version i finally published officially;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-61wAhllKU

Oddball_E8

Sat 29 Jan 2022, 13:15

Made some tweaks to the version i finally published officially;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-61wAhllKU
Riktigt snyggt gjort.

Är det ok om jag snor den och använder den till min kampanj?

EDIT: Might want to make an English version for the ones who play in English ;) This is really well made!