Megilered
Topic Author

NATO Spring Offensive

Wed 05 Jan 2022, 03:12

Hi all. This is the first time I've dug into the Twilight setting in any depth, and I was wondering what people thought of the NATO offensive presented in this edition?

The situation doesn't seem quite as hopeless as the setup in older editions. 5th ID may have died at Kalisz, but there are other American formations to the east and west for players to link up with. III Corps has fought hard and it doesn't seem like Soviet forces are in great shape. There are lots of Germans, Dutch and Polish to the north still fighting. We don't know anything between Wloclawek and the British/Belgian/Polish forces at Gdansk, but it's conceivable that the whole western bank of the lower Wisla could be under NATO control.

The intelligence handout says the aim of OPERATION RESET is to expel the Soviets entirely from Poland and then negotiate, and that it's a US led effort. I don't know the setting well, but if the NATO armies have limited communication with their own political leaders, who are they planning to speak to from the other side? Liberating Poland up to a defensible boundary seems like a more achievable and desirable goal for the Germans, to keep the Soviets away from their own border. Then maybe they're a bit more cooperative with the US Army about shipping people home.

I never played the game before, but I've never been entirely clear what motivates players in the older versions to hang around central Poland, or go eastwards towards the areas described in the modules? In this version, it seems like a much more viable option.

Azrael20

Re: NATO Spring Offensive

Fri 21 Jan 2022, 06:20

OPERATION: RESET's particulars are intentionally vague. Your players most likely aren't nearly of the required rank or clearance to know more than "Sarge says we're moving," and the Referee's Manual basically tells the Ref to make up the particulars of the Op if it ever comes to that. One of those particulars is "how was the operation coordinated and planned in only a few months when nearly all long-range traffic is offline."

If I had to guess, the answer is "very badly." There's no mention if this offensive was even in fact coordinated by American HQ in the states - rather unlikely, considering the civil war and lack of a fleet. More likely, it's the pet project of someone in Europe - whoever's still theoretically in charge of NATO, whether it's an American general, a French diversion, some mad European bureaucratthe answers are unclear.

Megilered
Topic Author

Re: NATO Spring Offensive

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 22:19

I'm partially looking for answers to a prospective player of mine, who I suspect will be a little sceptical of the idea of continued fighting after the exchange (and probably a little skeptical of T2k in general, but willing to give it a try). But I also think that the battle plans might be a little better known to the average soldier. With morale and discipline crumbling, getting units to move out of secure cantonments for an attack presumably requires some popular support.

I've been assuming little contact with home, and that decisions are being made by a council of the most senior remaining officers of the national militaries. All that's really left of the NATO alliance in this view is a group of warlords agreeing that once a defensible frontier is secured, they'll cooperate to get home.