Xeonic
Topic Author

Swedish guerrilla warfare

Mon 29 Nov 2021, 13:42

Hey guys!

I'm just starting to build myself an idea of how me and my gaming group are going to enter the world of Twilight 2000, we will have our first session in a few weeks with intermittent character creation and talks about the setting before that.

We're all Swedish so the idea is to play in Sweden. We've not yet determined whether any of the group will play any other nationality than Swedish but I hope someone will.

Now, being Swedish, in Sweden, the normal approach of "let's bug out home" as NATO soldiers stuck in war-torn Poland doesn't really apply, which is why I'm going to try to set up this campaign as more of a guerilla warfare combined with a general "stake out a new life in the apocalypse" idea. What are your experiences of running this kind of campaign? I'm aware the basis of guerrilla warfare is that there is any kind of organized military about to wage war on, but I have the feeling that more and more of the campaign will move from warfare into building a new life.

I'm thinking of starting the campaign with the four PC's as part of a smaller organized part of the Swedish Home Guard, mostly made up of older men who has completed their mandatory military service at 18 but also including ragtag bands of civilians who felt the need to fight as well as the occasional active military personnel.

The idea being that they are given an assigment to recon the area a few clicks to the north of the current location, where they will stumble upon a farmstead currently being raided by Russian military personnel, how they handle this situation might mean that they end up with an NPC who joins the party and provides some useful service (depending on the current makeup of the party, im considering including a mechanic, doctor or similar to make up for some shortfalls during character creation).

As they return (if they return) from this recon assignment, they will find the entire camp absolutely destroyed, I'm thinking artillery craters, burned down tents, bodies everywhere and finding out the entire camp has been looted for anything useful or valuable.

What they do from there is anybodys guess, but I'm thinking of giving them some options like:
"You heard the CO talk about a friendly group to the west who you were about to rendezvous with to exchange information and supplies"
"You could probably follow the group who did this, they werent exactly discreet about where they were going and the machinery needed to achieve this is easily tracked."

I'll happily take comments or ideas about how to make this more realistic or if you think there are some major revisions that could be needed for it to work in the setting.

Vader

Re: Swedish guerrilla warfare

Mon 29 Nov 2021, 18:01

Ett par tankar som slog:

Who were the people that raided the camp? I mean, if they had actual artillery support, they must have been a fairly substantial force? Or do you mean "artillery" as in light mortars?

If the artillery fire left craters, you'll need to consider why they used ground burst instead of air burst. Air burst — the default fuse for unarmoured targets and infantry in the open — doesn't leave craters.

Further — if the target of the raid is to loot the camp, why use artillery fire at all, with the risk of destroying valuable gear or supplies?
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Raellus

Sat 04 Dec 2021, 03:55

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=8631

Maybe?

Anyway, I think a partisan campaign could be interesting, but maybe you can still incorporate elements of a "returning home" style campaign. For example, maybe your players could start off in a Soviet POW camp in Finland or the end of Sweden furthest from their home town. That would allow you to keep at least some of the travel/escape-and-evade side of a typical T2k campaign while still basing it in your home country.

-
Twilight 2000 discussion forum @ https://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Xeonic
Topic Author

Mon 06 Dec 2021, 17:05

Ett par tankar som slog:

Who were the people that raided the camp? I mean, if they had actual artillery support, they must have been a fairly substantial force? Or do you mean "artillery" as in light mortars?

If the artillery fire left craters, you'll need to consider why they used ground burst instead of air burst. Air burst — the default fuse for unarmoured targets and infantry in the open — doesn't leave craters.

Further — if the target of the raid is to loot the camp, why use artillery fire at all, with the risk of destroying valuable gear or supplies?
I'm thinking the raiders are soviet stragglers, still somewhat organized trying to get a hold of anything they can to sustain their personnel. As for the artillery I'm thinking at least 120 mm mortars, something along the lines of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2S12_Sani.

Air burst is fine as well, I just want to leave the impression of destruction, that works just as well with airburst tearing the tree tops to bits.

As for the reason why they needed to employ such heavy force, is that they had no other choice, they met fierce resistance from the Home guard and decided that they had to strike hard in order to defeat the resistance elements.
viewtopic.php?f=131&t=8631

Maybe?

Anyway, I think a partisan campaign could be interesting, but maybe you can still incorporate elements of a "returning home" style campaign. For example, maybe your players could start off in a Soviet POW camp in Finland or the end of Sweden furthest from their home town. That would allow you to keep at least some of the travel/escape-and-evade side of a typical T2k campaign while still basing it in your home country.

-
This would be really interesting, I could probably run something similar to this, it's a shame that the campaign map for Sweden is quite limited in the north-south range. The infrastructure is quite well developed in the area the map is set in which makes this somewhat simple as far as distances go, but you could definitely add some serious spice in the matter of how tough it is to escape enemy elements.