Mr Oldtimer

Re: Thoughts on Big Dreams?

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 20:09

I find it useful to have a good discussion at character generation, in the group or with every player. Or both. Telling them how they think the dream could manifest in a game. Not every session but what would they like to get in the ways of clues, when is the dream realized and what are the different goals along the way? Their thoughts often invoke other thoughts and intrigues on my part. But it won't do itself, without us having a discussion. They have to understand this is a storytelling device which helps us make drama out of our collaborate telling of the PCs story.

Oddball_E8

Re: Thoughts on Big Dreams?

Thu 14 Oct 2021, 21:14

I've considered ditching the Big Dream concept (After getting the same results as you, but in M:YZ) and replacing it with the Agenda concept from Aliens.

I think that, for the players, having it be an Agenda instead of a Dream gives it some more agency and turns it into something they *should* do instead of something they *might* do.

Of course, I'll make the Agendas with the players in question and won't force anything on them, but I will keep the Agendas hidden just like in Alien.