CharlesPicardGMs
Topic Author

Re: New Blog Post: The Leader in Battle: a House Rule for the Command Skill in Twilight: 2000 RPG

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 22:27

Somewhat unrelated, but maybe it will spark an idea for someone: since it's spooky season, I'm planning to drop a few supernatural/anomalous elements into my campaign. T2K has CUF, but it doesn't have a fear save. I figure this is another opportunity for the Command skill to rise and shine! (which will get ugly because none of my players have it)
I think CUF/Stress is for sure the T2K fear system if you want to use it that way.

omnipus

Re: New Blog Post: The Leader in Battle: a House Rule for the Command Skill in Twilight: 2000 RPG

Sat 09 Oct 2021, 01:45

CUF just really doesn't feel like the right fit for me, biggest reason is that I want a damn spooky thing to feel unnatural and different from a firefight. There's a reason most horror games break down saves into different types.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

Crone

Tue 23 Nov 2021, 22:49

I think the major problem here is that the Command skill doesnt really do anything compared to other skills. The description of the skill is more "specialities" than a use of a skill.
If the command skill would be like in Coriolis RPG it would give you a +1 to any skill when following the order given, like the example above. For each success add either +1 to the skill (max +2), another combat round (max 4 combat rounds) or another person (max 4). Somthing like this.

Then you could have specialities to gives you +1 for building, helping incapacitated pcs or whatever you want to add as a speciality.

A command skill is usefull for so many things like the head of a football team, construction site, medical team etc.

I will house rule it as it is in Coriolis and add a few specialities like:
Born leader; +1 to your roll for Command when giving out orders
Inspiring leader: Instead of +1 to any skill the person or group gets +1 to their CUF roll for the rest of the combat round.
Team leader: Command now affects your whole group (down to closes commanding officers if commanding more than assault groups of 5 - 8 sort of... dont know the number of different squads or groups)

leonpoi

Wed 24 Nov 2021, 10:52

I like it. The good things about this is that new specialities are super easy to add because you are not really breaking any "chained talent" systems etc etc - can just write them up and add to the base

Oddball_E8

Fri 26 Nov 2021, 08:17

CUF just really doesn't feel like the right fit for me, biggest reason is that I want a damn spooky thing to feel unnatural and different from a firefight. There's a reason most horror games break down saves into different types.
Yeah... CUF is literally about how used to combat you are.
While fear in horror games should be about how good you are at facing the horrors of the unimaginable.

It's basically CUF but where the F means fear instead of fire.

If you've been up against ghouls, warewolves or aliens loads of times before, they kinda lose their shock effect.

But if you've never seen one before, I'd imagine that it doesn't matter how many firefights you've been in, you'll still shit your pants.

omnipus

Sat 27 Nov 2021, 19:43

Correct. Command also isn't a reaaally good fit but I figure it's at least in some sense about maintaining a rational-thinking brain in the face of everything breaking down.

I still haven't actually gotten to this point yet -- maybe I'll simply invent a totally new attribute the first time it's relevant and instruct players to roll it up then.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG