CharlesPicardGMs
Topic Author

New Blog Post: The Leader in Battle: a House Rule for the Command Skill in Twilight: 2000 RPG

Thu 30 Sep 2021, 18:51

A way to make Command an active "leadership" style skill without stepping on anyone's toes...

http://toomuchcontent.net/2021/09/30/th ... 2000-rpg/

Makhfi

Re: New Blog Post: The Leader in Battle: a House Rule for the Command Skill in Twilight: 2000 RPG

Fri 01 Oct 2021, 14:48

I agree with you on the regard of the few uses of the Command skill. I've come up with the same rules as you regarding it, with two differences. The accepted leader of the team can issue new orders each turn and is also affected by it, so the leader also gets the +1 bonus.

We've played Twilight 2013 and their rules have a similar concept, called Team Integration. Which gives a bonus from +1 to +5 to the team (the entire team, the leader too), depending of how high the team's integration is. The +1 inT2k is enough, since higher bonuses would be too much. At least Command will be useful for more in combat than just rallying.

I haven't had time to test it yet, but it works well in T2k13 so I think it will work just fine in this version as well.

/Makhfi

leonpoi

Re: New Blog Post: The Leader in Battle: a House Rule for the Command Skill in Twilight: 2000 RPG

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 09:25

A quick question: What are you thinking here? No roll is needed from the player doing the Command? Just a +1 without a roll?

I like the concept but but I wonder how to link it to the actual command skill of the character issuing the order?

Fenhorn

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 10:24

A quick question: What are you thinking here? No roll is needed from the player doing the Command? Just a +1 without a roll?

I like the concept but but I wonder how to link it to the actual command skill of the character issuing the order?

In Alien RPG, you can use the command skill to give orders:
GIVE ORDERS: In Combat, as a slow action you can bark orders to another character. They must be able to hear you, even if via a comm radio. Roll COMMAND. For every 'Success' you roll, they get a +1 modification to their roll when carrying out the order you gave.
That could be something for a house rule here. When it comes to usefulness, the Specialties Logistician and Tactician make use of the skill in other ways than just to bring incapacitated soldiers back up.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Makhfi

Mon 04 Oct 2021, 11:46

In my house rule, a command roll must be made.

leonpoi

Tue 05 Oct 2021, 01:48

'Thumbs-Up'

Moderator Action: Changed the oversized emoji to text (I can't find a normal sized thumbs-up).
- Fenhorn

omnipus

Tue 05 Oct 2021, 19:57

I like this concept. I agree that it doesn't really mesh with the other rules for me that the skill level actually makes no difference. A D is as good as an A here, as long as it's the highest. I might consider making it a slow action, with the number of orders you can issue from that action being equal to number of successes rolled. Of course that invites the possibility of it being 0, which means it's likely to get used less...

It also adds more dice rolls, and I've grown a little frustrated with how many of those there are, RAW. In the last session my players ended up approaching a guarded bridge and then racing for cover and to get across the bridge. The result was every single player rolling for mobility every single round, for like 5 rounds, so they could get the extra sprint distance. It got pretty tedious, but, stuck on the map as we were, I could hardly house rule anything on the fly.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

CharlesPicardGMs
Topic Author

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 04:35

I could certainly see tying it to a Command roll as I've mentioned elsewhere (I think?), with each success indicating a possible +1 to hand out. This certainly makes how good you are at Command matter.

I still think I'd limit the action to once per combat encounter, though. It gets less special if the "Leader" character is just rolling, rolling, and rolling to do more Commands.

omnipus

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 21:25

Somewhat unrelated, but maybe it will spark an idea for someone: since it's spooky season, I'm planning to drop a few supernatural/anomalous elements into my campaign. T2K has CUF, but it doesn't have a fear save. I figure this is another opportunity for the Command skill to rise and shine! (which will get ugly because none of my players have it)
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

Makhfi

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 22:07

Talking about spooky, I once scared the players so much that they abandoned the adventure they were playing. We were playing Twilight 2000 2nd edition and I inserted a small adventure from Twilight Nightmares into the normal one we played and it really spooked them :twisted:
This is ~25 years ago and I still remember it clearly :D