Ursus Maior
Topic Author

Re: Creating Your Own Maps: Military Style!

Tue 22 Jun 2021, 21:48

One nice thing this also has is all the graphics for stability operations -- I could see that being real handy for a T2K campaign. Maybe if your group is real nerds you'll pair it with a pattern analysis plot!
Could you explain that concept a bit more. It sounds deviously interesting for my campaign idea.
liber & infractus

Ursus Maior
Topic Author

Tue 22 Jun 2021, 21:54

The Perry-Castañeda Map library at UT is one of the best online map resources I have found. And all of their maps are downloadable. And they have older maps as well as current ones.
https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/
And then there is David Rumsey: https://www.davidrumsey.com/

There are also a couple of (non-)navigational maps for airplane pilots available on the internet from that era (or the 1980s). I haven't found free satellite imagery from the era, though.

omnipus

Wed 23 Jun 2021, 00:21

Are there any sources of 1990s era maps of Poland and Sweden? In some ways I wish they'd advanced the timeline to 2025 or something so maps would be easier to deal with.
The best are Soviet military topographic maps, of course. (to this day they are the best maps of most of the third world produced anywhere)

I was using one of these (1991 edition) for a while but had to take it away from my players because of excessive literalism that was bogging the game down. However, still an incredible resource on the GM side.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

omnipus

Wed 23 Jun 2021, 00:25

One nice thing this also has is all the graphics for stability operations -- I could see that being real handy for a T2K campaign. Maybe if your group is real nerds you'll pair it with a pattern analysis plot!
Could you explain that concept a bit more. It sounds deviously interesting for my campaign idea.
At what level? These are all COIN concepts, so they mostly are post-dated to the T2K timeline as a doctrine... but once the Big War breaks down you certainly end up with a lot of little wars and a lot of stability ops.

A pattern analysis plot is a very direct tool for counter-insurgency where you track the time and location of attacks against the time of day and days of the week in order to find patterns and develop countermeasures. Unless your campaign is VERY granular, this probably isn't a tool you want in a T2K campaign... but on the other hand there's some people that would probably really enjoy that level of detective work.

FM 3-24 has lots more info on this and all aspects of COIN in general.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

Plaffie

Wed 23 Jun 2021, 20:01

Nice recources. I am trying out QGIS with the Stamen Watercolor map and the Milstd2525 plugin (https://github.com/planetfederal/qgis-milstd2525-plugin) Still a lot to figure out but it looks promising.