Mahatatain

Re: Adventure hooks

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 19:14

If you are new to T2k, and have a group of players who haven't played the game before, then some of the V1 adventure modules can easily be recycled as plot ideas for this version of the game. My particular favourite is Pirates of the Vistula, which is the second of a classic trilogy of adventures (the Free City of Krakow, the Pirates of the Vistula and the Ruins of Warsaw). I believe that electronic versions are available on DriveThruRPG for a reasonable price.

If I manage to get a group together to play this version of the game then my plan is to use the Free City of Krakow module as the basis of a campaign sandbox with a lot of my own plot modifications and additions. The PCs will start off south-east of Kalisz having been involved in a resupply mission to deliver ammo and radio batteries to a Polish partisan unit and they will then become separated from their parent unit while returning to the Kalisz area. I will then try to guide/lure/chase them towards Krakow (probably by linking up with a merchant convoy from Krakow for mutual protection) and once they arrive in Krakow then my plan is for them to get involved with DIA/MI6 operations within and around the city.

omnipus
Topic Author

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 19:27

Those are all good books. I think by the standards of today they're a little dense in terms of usable material, but they're very full of good stuff. Free City especially (and likewise, I'm consistently trying to drop more rumors in that direction). Once my current Pietrkow centered campaign is done hopefully they head there next.

All of those modules (and most/all of the others) are also on sale on Drivethru right now!
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

swedishtrex

Fri 18 Jun 2021, 09:37

As i am running a little bit different campain (see the post on where did the sheeps of gotland go) meaning more run towards the danger i am using a few fixed sites for "special" encounters, this beyond the ones already included in the book. The adventure plot is based on about 6 months play with 2 sessions per month.

*muskö naval base: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musk%C3%B6_naval_base (will be a area hit by several cruise missiles and a nuke, will be a spare part hunt to get a working boat together to goto gotland, tunnelfighting and underground post apocalyptic scavanger hunt)

*berga naval base: Again part of the boat scavenger hunt, will be an site hit by many cruise missles trying to create a sorta Wrecked sea graveyard with sunken ships and loads of scavengers trying to pick. Designed as a barter/social conflict encounter but has violent solutions.

*Motala city: designed as a madmax style adventure of a total lawless city, fires and marauder controll where the crew have to pass with their lav-25 and restock fuel somehow, tons of rivers and natural bounderies, ending with a USSR powermove as they finish up Op reset

*e4 highway outside/inside norrköping: designed as red dawn raid scenario on the base, at this point they will have lost their initial vehicle so they are stealing a new one right under the nose from the admiral, maybee even an assassination attempt and general "fria kriget" in the town.

*Gotland and Wisby: A trench warfare scenario being the culmination of the campaign about the mysteries of gotland, embattled forces, a working zubr that is restocking from somewhere and 3 working bm-30 smerch's pelting the town with chemical warfare missiles, so masks, nbc protection, ww1 style trench warfare.

baldrick0712

Sat 19 Jun 2021, 15:31

A big story arc could be around why OPERATION RESET was such a disaster. For instance, maybe a US "spook" who is actually a double-agent passed the entire plan of the operation to the Russians.

Fenhorn

Sat 19 Jun 2021, 15:34

A big story arc could be around why OPERATION RESET was such a disaster. For instance, maybe a US "spook" who is actually a double-agent passed the entire plan of the operation to the Russians.
Wasn't there a double agent deep inside CIA (or something), was that during the 90s?

Regardless, perhaps Chris & Co. was inspired by that.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

baldrick0712

Sat 19 Jun 2021, 15:40

Wasn't there a double agent deep inside CIA (or something), was that during the 90s?

Don't know about the 90s but my inspiration came from learning about David Headley. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Headley

Fenhorn

Sat 19 Jun 2021, 15:52

Don't know about the 90s but my inspiration came from learning about David Headley. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Headley
Here is the story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldrich_Ames
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

baldrick0712

Sat 19 Jun 2021, 16:12

I think it could be a good story arc. The players could meet up with a CIA operative who accompanies them over several game sessions. The GM would stress to the players that they are all really cut up about OPERATION RESET and how they lost so many friends and colleagues. Over a series of several sessions it gradually dawns on the players that the CIA agent might be the person most responsible for their friends being killed.

Also, a bit of betrayal is always a good story plot. For example, the movie "The Wild Geese".

baldrick0712

Sat 19 Jun 2021, 16:20

On the subject of OPERATION RESET, perhaps people should consider starting their campaign actually during the operation as a kind of prologue. The players are in an M113 platoon and suddenly they are ambushed. Every track is blown up. A load of US soldier NPCs in the player's track also get killed. The players have to withdraw under fire. Next session begins, "three weeks later..."

omnipus
Topic Author

Tue 22 Jun 2021, 21:05

I did something like this as part of a session 0 combat introduction for my group. I fully expected several of the PCs to die or get seriously wounded, so I built it as a sort of "different guys somewhere else/flashback/dream sequence" thing just so they could learn the basics of the system and the tactics without actually dying in their first fight. Somehow, though, they managed to prevail so I never needed to use any of that framing work.

I still recommend the idea, though. It'll take quite a while to get through your first combat, and the system can be highly lethal if your characters don't use smart tactics or have a lot of luck (mine had a little of the former and a lot of the latter).
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG