swedishtrex
Topic Author

Campaign question: How about them sheeps on Gotland.

Sun 23 May 2021, 23:22

I need some good feedback on what to do with the cunundrum i ended up with framing my own campaign.

I would like to start out with that i am primarly a roleplaying GM, the simulation or realism is not an important part of my campaign, i worry about narative and a the players (aka my friends and gaming group since 20 years) having fun and feeling involved. We have never played twillight before and never realy played military based games ever, infact we on purpose skipped doing so favouring space opera and dungeonering, we however are huge free league fanatics and play most games from them and this is no exception.

So after building the characters for the main group using the lifepath system and then trying to incorporate those backgrounds into the meta plot for the campaign I ended up with the higher swedish officer in the group with a sf background among others, this part is important to create a driving long term meta goal that goes in somwhat oposite the metaplot set out in the books. All characters have individual hooks written into my story and one could say every character represents one meta goal (a CIA assassin sent to take out a certain admiral, an american pmc, former sf who just made it out north africa before the nukes and with a bag of secrets etc etc)

So i will be sending them on a special mission during operation reset, with the lt-colonel to not link up with the stockholm enclave but finding a harbor on the east coast that is not occupied, has some sort of workable larger naval vessel. This ofcourse will be a month long treck across occupied territory with many things planned along the way.

Now for the cunundrum and the goal:
The goal: is to find large enough transport to out to Gottland and to for the lt-colonel to take operational command of the gathered forces there and try to create a bridgehead on the mainland.

The cunundrum: What is actually on gotland ? i know the book realy leaves it up to each gm to decide at this point but i need help from you with insight on the military matters or previous editions, what happened there ? what is a logical outcome of the mystery around the island ? whats the "black swan" scenario ? While i could just guess here i would appriciate any sort of feedback/info on this part.

cheers.

Jeremysbrain

Re: Campaign question: How about them sheeps on Gotland.

Wed 26 May 2021, 02:13

It was never covered in previous editions and doesn't look like they are going to cover it now. So do whatever you want.

I like the idea that the players are going there with the idea that they are going to link up with Nato forces, but arrive on the island only to find it populated by refugees from the mainland instead. No Nato in sight and the refugees are on the verge of starving. Now the players have to deal with a humanitarian crisis.

swedishtrex
Topic Author

Wed 26 May 2021, 12:09

It was never covered in previous editions and doesn't look like they are going to cover it now. So do whatever you want.

I like the idea that the players are going there with the idea that they are going to link up with Nato forces, but arrive on the island only to find it populated by refugees from the mainland instead. No Nato in sight and the refugees are on the verge of starving. Now the players have to deal with a humanitarian crisis.
Hmm thanks! i did not even think about taking that route and turning it into something other than a military scenario, that totaly is a verry nice idea to incorporate.

My original thoughts was trying to create something ww1'ish, like a lone working zubr class, desperate trenchwarfare and a battery of hurricanes with chemical missiles, so like gaskmask, nbc trench warfare.

Jeremysbrain

Wed 26 May 2021, 15:06

Hmm thanks! i did not even think about taking that route and turning it into something other than a military scenario, that totaly is a verry nice idea to incorporate.
I think a good T2K game is about military, combat and tactics only like 1/3 of the time, the other 2/3 of the game is spent dealing with issues of survival and humanity.

Hybris

Wed 26 May 2021, 21:41

Maybe better then a zubr

we have 3.

Fõrsvarets Materielverk (FMV), the Swedish government's military procurement agency, have ordered three Griffon 8100TD to be used by the Amphibious Battalion. In a competitive tender Griffon beat its rivals to win the contract with a fully compliant bid, despite the customer already owning one of Griffon's competitor craft. During the tender process FMV visited several of Griffon's existing 8000TD users around the world.

The Swedish Amphibious Battalion has a requirement to carry various types of equipment. In one load case the hovercraft will carry a tracked amphibian (BV-206) and its crew or a Humvee, in another a 20ft shipping container will be stowed on board to carry equipment or medical supplies. Alternatively seating for 50 troops and their equipment can be accommodated.

This multi-role craft has a vehicle bow-ramp to quickly deploy the vehicle and/or troops safely and dry on an unprepared beach or river bank. The offset forward wheelhouse has been fitted with Ballistic protection to offer protection against 7.62mm NATO ball, and is also fitted with NBC (Nuclear, Biological & Chemical) protection. Powered by two 1000hp Iveco diesels this craft is capable of speeds in excess of 40 knots (46 mph or 74 kms/hr -- In fact, during trials the craft exceeded its design specification in many respects and reached speeds of nearly 60 knots.

The craft has a 23kVa generator and a comprehensive 220-400vAC electrical system. It is equipped with climate control which controls a powerful heating and air conditioning system.

A new feature on the Swedish Amphibious Battalion's 8100TD is the development of an integrated navigation and conning system. Griffon have been working closely with Marine Electronic Systems (MES) on this project. The system is run by 3 separate computers, each of which runs its own application. The radar is controlled using Transas "Navi-radar" software, and the chart plotter/AIS system by Transas "Navi-Sailor" software. The conning display is a bespoke system, designed by MES, which monitors engine and control systems as well as displaying course, speed, rate of turn and craft trim. Fuel and ballast system levels are indicated plus a comprehensive array of alarms. Each application can be displayed on any of the three 19" VDU's. Overall control of the systems is with a ruggedised keyboard and trackball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR6FEhUg8EE

swedishtrex
Topic Author

Fri 28 May 2021, 09:36

Maybe better then a zubr

we have 3.

Fõrsvarets Materielverk (FMV), the Swedish government's military procurement agency, have ordered three Griffon 8100TD to be used by the Amphibious Battalion. In a competitive tender Griffon beat its rivals to win the contract with a fully compliant bid, despite the customer already owning one of Griffon's competitor craft. During the tender process FMV visited several of Griffon's existing 8000TD users around the world.

The Swedish Amphibious Battalion has a requirement to carry various types of equipment. In one load case the hovercraft will carry a tracked amphibian (BV-206) and its crew or a Humvee, in another a 20ft shipping container will be stowed on board to carry equipment or medical supplies. Alternatively seating for 50 troops and their equipment can be accommodated.

This multi-role craft has a vehicle bow-ramp to quickly deploy the vehicle and/or troops safely and dry on an unprepared beach or river bank. The offset forward wheelhouse has been fitted with Ballistic protection to offer protection against 7.62mm NATO ball, and is also fitted with NBC (Nuclear, Biological & Chemical) protection. Powered by two 1000hp Iveco diesels this craft is capable of speeds in excess of 40 knots (46 mph or 74 kms/hr -- In fact, during trials the craft exceeded its design specification in many respects and reached speeds of nearly 60 knots.

The craft has a 23kVa generator and a comprehensive 220-400vAC electrical system. It is equipped with climate control which controls a powerful heating and air conditioning system.

A new feature on the Swedish Amphibious Battalion's 8100TD is the development of an integrated navigation and conning system. Griffon have been working closely with Marine Electronic Systems (MES) on this project. The system is run by 3 separate computers, each of which runs its own application. The radar is controlled using Transas "Navi-radar" software, and the chart plotter/AIS system by Transas "Navi-Sailor" software. The conning display is a bespoke system, designed by MES, which monitors engine and control systems as well as displaying course, speed, rate of turn and craft trim. Fuel and ballast system levels are indicated plus a comprehensive array of alarms. Each application can be displayed on any of the three 19" VDU's. Overall control of the systems is with a ruggedised keyboard and trackball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR6FEhUg8EE
I was thinking of having the USSR being the attacker coming with the zubr, but you are thinking the reversed that the us/swe player group should be assaulting ? if so what happened to the troops already on gotland described in the background ? just wiped out or something more interesting ?