Domingo
Topic Author

Encounter Frequency

Sat 27 Mar 2021, 16:53

The referee's manual says "typically, you’ll draw one potential random encounter for each 10-kilometer hex that the PCs enter." As the referee, you can generate encounters more or less frequently to manage the pace of the game.

Referees: What is your optimal frequency based on actual play?

omnipus

Re: Encounter Frequency

Sun 28 Mar 2021, 05:54

I draw an encounter whenever there's travel. If the one that comes up fits the locale, and seems like it will make for an interesting roadbump or feed into the campaign in some way, then I'll keep it. Otherwise I ignore it and we move on. If there hasn't been an actual encounter in a little while I usually pluck something from the mood elements (which can sometimes eat up a surprising amount of time, or lead to some surreal happenings).

That said, after just a few sessions I realized I didn't love most of the encounters in the book. So I've homebrewed a few, or just tweaked the ones in the book, but I've also found this generator dedicated to older editions, and it has some really fantastic material.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

naash

Tue 07 Dec 2021, 00:45

Thanks you for sharing this encounter generator.
It Will be usefull !
Last edited by naash on Tue 07 Dec 2021, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

baldrick0712

Tue 07 Dec 2021, 11:35

Was that sentence from an earlier iteration of the rules, as I have "FREQUENCY: Typically, you’ll draw at least one potential random encounter per shift" (p36 Referees Manual)?

Fenhorn

Tue 07 Dec 2021, 11:47

Was that sentence from an earlier iteration of the rules, as I have "FREQUENCY: Typically, you’ll draw at least one potential random encounter per shift" (p36 Referees Manual)?
That sentence is from the alpha.
edit: his sentence that is, your sentence is in the beta and also in the final version.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore