SoulAngel
Topic Author

Playing "classic" Symbaroum with 5e Symbaroum

Sat 04 Dec 2021, 12:15

Hello,

I'll start soon the last campaign (the haunted waste) in d&d5e.

But i had some questions:
In classic Symbaroum, LoreMaster was a real prerequisite... but because the talent was open to everyone, it was easy to take it by anyone... now you are forced to be ironsworn or wizard to have this talent. Quite hard and limitating!
For understanding old symbarian, you can manage it with ritual "Comprehended language" but LoreMaster was a pre-requisite for a lot of other rolls, how do you manage it now?
I can imagine i can replace by other rolls like history, medecine (and other INT rolls) and in this case, does the LoreMaster talent give you bonuses?

Witchsight: we don't have any equivalent to witchsight in 5e. Abducted human & human can have shadowsight feat, which allow them to see the shadow of a person or a creature. You can use the ritual "holy smoke"... but witchsight also allow to see/sense the corruption of a place or a situation.
Example: you have to pass a vigilant test with witchsight ability to realize than Midnight water are dangerous or to see darkness escaping from the crystal near clearwater or to sense there is dark energy in the air.... so how will you play that in 5e?

I'm open to idea or if Jacobs (or other members of the team) have already the answer, i'm listening ;).

Edit: I've read the bestiary (dd5) to look the difference with the Monster Codex (because you sometime have a mention to use loremaster or witchsight)... and there is no difference between the two book (except there is no "level" question like novice, expert...).
So i think it's a bit "harsch" and limit people choice for campaign. I think i'll give the shadow-sight feat open to everyone (which, by the way, according to the Bestiary, have the ability to sense the corruption in the air... in player's guide, shadowsight is limited to person ;)) and i think i'll create a new feat "limited loremaster" which allow you to : speak old symbar, know a lof about historic stuff.

pagnabros

Re: Playing "classic" Symbaroum with 5e Symbaroum

Sat 04 Dec 2021, 13:03

I honestly think that vital information for succeeding in an adventure should not be barred behind a feat/talent/feature. In this case, I would try to understand what info they really need and simply give them to the highest Intelligence character. I don't think this will devalue a character with Loremaster if there isn't a character with Loremaster in the group.

As for the witchsight, I would simply make that every race could get the feat and eventually do as above if certain pieces of information are necessary. But if all they do by not having it is taking corruption or being in danger, that's honestly fair if everyone has chosen not to take it or be careful. After all, Symbaroum is not a setting for the faint of heart ;)

Jacob Rodgers

Re: Playing "classic" Symbaroum with 5e Symbaroum

Sun 05 Dec 2021, 16:34

Remember that Ruins of Symbaroum characters have specialties that regular Symbaroum characters don't have, e.g. Arcana, History, Nature, Medicine (more to do with Medicus than Loremaster but same relevance). Of course, Loremaster can still be very important and oftentimes will unlock a higher level of understanding or make it so that characters are not racking their brains trying to remember something.

As for Shadow-sight, the first sentence of the feat is very important. You're right that the Player's Guide focuses on direct character interaction, but further releases will provide examples where Shadow-sight can be helpful.