Ugglefar
Topic Author

An idea for the Troll Singer

Wed 22 Sep 2021, 01:58

I am reposting an idea of mine from a different post here.

Personally I think that the Troll Singer would be interesting as more of a half-caster. Give the Approach an extra attack at level 5.

I haven't had the opportunity to actually play a Troll Singer with the 5e ruleset. But it looks like you want to be more sparse with the use of your leveled spells compared to the other traditions. This I don't have a problem with, if it weren't for the apparent fact that they are just as "bad" as the other casters at martial fighting.

I think giving them an extra attack at level 5 (and no more extra attacks after that), would align them more with what the lore that says: "...most skalds are true warrior poets that lead their allies to victory using the great power of their voice and muscles."

Another option would be to give them the extra attack at level 6, just like how the Wizard: Bladesinger works from Standard D&D 5e.

This could of course require some rebalancing of other parts of their kit.

Would it make the Troll Singer too powerful if you gave the Approach an extra attack at level 5?

n4tune8

Re: An idea for the Troll Singer

Sat 02 Oct 2021, 20:42

You might also look at the College of Valor (Bard) as a template: They gain proficiency with medium armor, shields and martial weapons. They can boost their allies' rolls (Bardic Inspiration+Combat Inspiration), eventually get an extra attack and at level 14 can make a weapon attack as a bonus action when casting a spell.
Songs of the Masters already takes care of the boosts, so there is not much needed to get there.

Ugglefar
Topic Author

Sat 02 Oct 2021, 21:15

You might also look at the College of Valor (Bard) as a template: They gain proficiency with medium armor, shields and martial weapons. They can boost their allies' rolls (Bardic Inspiration+Combat Inspiration), eventually get an extra attack and at level 14 can make a weapon attack as a bonus action when casting a spell.
Songs of the Masters already takes care of the boosts, so there is not much needed to get there.

Fair point. I hadn't considered the valor bard.

SoulAngel

Sun 03 Oct 2021, 11:44

Yep i think taking inspiration in bard is a good idea. In my mind, troll singer can be, on many points, close to the bards!