Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Background Clarification

Thu 16 Sep 2021, 19:55

Just checking the pulse here as I'm not realt sure this is a question but...

Are the standard backgrounds the the 5e PHB compatible with symbaroum classes, approaches and origins?

I would assume so. They are just backgrounds after all and it's easy to see any of them on a symbaroum character (acolyte, criminal, Outlander, etc)

Just making sure there is nothin I'm missing.

Thanks!
Last edited by Barbarianbob on Fri 17 Sep 2021, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.

sandor7

Re: Background Clarification

Fri 17 Sep 2021, 03:20

RoS backgrounds are dependant on the character’s origin (iirc). If thats the case, i would argue only the backgrounds listed for each origin are eligible for use with that specific origin.

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Fri 17 Sep 2021, 06:17

RoS backgrounds are dependant on the character’s origin (iirc). If thats the case, i would argue only the backgrounds listed for each origin are eligible for use with that specific origin.
Oh, I agree 100%. Maybe I need to re-phrase my question....I'm assuming it's "OK" to use the backgrounds from the PHB "in addition to" to the ROS backgrounds, correct?

Example: an ogre can be learned in magic (RoS) or an outlander (PHB). There's nothing stopping the use of the core backgrounds that I am missing, right?

samirvsmachine

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 01:29

If I remember well, backgrounds in 5E Symbaroum have mechanical effects and have more synergy with the character origin. I think you would need add some mechanical advantage to DnD 5e backgrounds.

n4tune8

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 04:17

Basically, what Barbarianbob is saying is that we need a sentence in the book that tells us that we can also select from backgrounds from other sources, such as the original 5e books. I know that because of the OGL, the players' handbook cannot be mentioned by name in the RoS books.

Barbarianbob
Topic Author

Thu 28 Oct 2021, 01:46

Basically, what Barbarianbob is saying is that we need a sentence in the book that tells us that we can also select from backgrounds from other sources, such as the original 5e books. I know that because of the OGL, the players' handbook cannot be mentioned by name in the RoS books.
Yea, pretty much. I'm just curious as to the compatibility between the two. It appears to be that they are very compatible. Yes, the ones presented in the RoS PHB are more "in line with" the flavor and theme of Symbaroum, but I don't think that makes the "Core 5e" backgrounds and less viable.